Author Topic: Plunger Centre Stand Problem  (Read 418 times)

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
Plunger Centre Stand Problem
« on: 24.05. 2021 12:58 »
Hi all

The BSA A7 Bobber I am restoring only had a side stand when I bought it so I managed to find a main stand on eBay, but when I tried it the lugs on the stand were too narrow for my frame.  After an exchange of emails and photos I agreed with the eBay seller that it was an A7 Plunger centre stand and in all other respects it was correct.

I have managed to get it to fit by cutting the crossbar and putting in a spacer.

My frame number specifies a 1953 Plunger BSA A7 frame.

Does anyone know why there was this miss match between frame and centre stand?  I have sorted the problem but I would be interested to know what is going on.

Degsy

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
Re: Plunger Centre Stand Problem
« Reply #1 on: 24.05. 2021 14:46 »
Hi Degsy, here my A10 stand with dimensions to compare with. I would think it would be the same as an A7, what I notice with yours is the right hand side seems to have been bent in, squashing the pivot lugs together making them more narrow, hence the need for you to widen them by cutting and adding tube, what may have been better is to have straightened the right hand side with a bit of heat and a crowbar, this would have opened out the distance between the two pivots.

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 24.05. 2021 14:47 »
sorry forgot the picture

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.05. 2021 16:24 »
The feet don't look like the ones my on bike's stand at all, nor does the leg with a dog-leg in it. Are you sure it's a BSA plunger stand?

Offline jonny web

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 24.05. 2021 18:45 »
yes pretty sure, it hadnt been off the frame in a very long time either, here is the stand from my parts list for the '53 plunger

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2021 08:39 »
Hi Jonny web, yes you are right about the bend on one leg it does look different from the standard but if it was an original stand that was bent it would make one side slightly shorter and it looks level on the bike.  Not worth spending too much time on this question, I just thought someone would have an obvious answer.

Degsy