Author Topic: spark plug ignition reduction  (Read 693 times)

Offline psahlt

• New
spark plug ignition reduction
« on: 01.01. 2021 09:50 »
Hello there. I have a 1952 golden flash 650cc engine left for me by my grandfather. I took it out of the box and collected it. But every 3 hours spark plug cuts. What can I do with magneto coals solid? I'm using a 5 ohm spark plug header.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: spark plug ignition reduction
« Reply #1 on: 01.01. 2021 10:54 »
Ideally, you don't want the 5000 ohm resistor plug cap there, but I don't think it is the cause of your problem. You could try without it to see - but 3 hours running to find out seems a really very long time! It is worth trying new spark plugs, though, as they are cheap and easy to change.

Normally, if sparks are going to disappear when the magneto gets hot, they will stop after a few miles/ km, say 20 minutes, and the bike may then start again when it has cooled.  And stop or splutter again as it gets hot again. That behavious would suggest a faulty condenser or a faulty HT winding, or occasionally a faulty slipring (the bit the carbon brushes (coals) run on inside the magneto) or HT pick-up(s) which leak when hot.

The brushes should move freely in the pick-up on their springs - a clean with electrical contact cleaning fluid or similar would solve that probably. If they were stuck solid, though, I'd expect any fault to show up much sooner than 3 hours!

It is also always worth checking the state of the contact breaker and the points gap - but again, three hours is a long time for it to run before it displays a sudden fault.

If the machine had been left standing for a long time, it is more than likely that the condenser has deteriorated, and / or that the HT coil is tired. There are various tests you can do to check that the HT coil is continuous, but no easy test for the condenser.

As a very basic test, you should be able to get a 5 or 6mm spark to jump from the end of the HT lead (plug cap removed) to earth, at kickstart speed, hot or cold. If it won't do that, then further investigation is needed. If the magneto is off the bike, then you should be able to get 5-6mm sparks off it at the rate of just less than 2 per second, turning it steadily.

The thing with these things is that although they are extremely reliable and can work for many years with no attention to speak of, once they start behaving erratically it is often necessary to carry out a full range of tests to work out what's good and what isn't. It's possible, yes, to play a bit, get it to work for a while, then have more trouble  . . . until you are going round in circles.
If the magneto is 'as original' it may well need a proper overhaul, to be perfectly honest.

Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 01.01. 2021 11:12 »
My first BSA used to do something like that as well.
Turned out to be the wrong carbon brushes in the magneto pick ups which would get too hot then go soft & loose contact
Fifteen minutes or so latter it would be right as rain & off I would go again.
Took a long while to work that one out.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 08.02. 2021 12:14 »
Had a similar issue but with a misfire rather inconsistent.  Turned out to the the HT brushes being too hard.  Tough to establish the cause.
'59 A10RR + Second engine

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 27.05. 2021 15:45 »
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any trick to removing the brushes?  I'd like to replace the brushes in my magneto, but the ends of the springs are firmly stuck in their housings.  It looks like they will be destroyed if I pull hard enough.  It's not an issue since I will replace them, but is this "normal"?
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 27.05. 2021 16:11 »
Have a look at the way the springs are wound on your new brushes.  If you "turn them" one way it will make the OD of the spring larger and the other will make it smaller.  Presuming the springs are made the same, that should give you an idea of how to turn them as you pull them out.   Rotate the brushe/spring the way to make it smaller whilst pushing them in.   Others may have better ideas.

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 27.05. 2021 19:32 »
Thanks Keith - I tried it just now, and the brushes came out without any trouble.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 27.05. 2021 19:37 »
Excellent.  Glad I've not read the other posts but it would be useful to clean the slip ring, making sure you don't get a shock and checking again just to make sure there is no carbon building up on the ring and the brushes have bedded in OK.  ATB  Keith