Author Topic: oil pumps  (Read 1280 times)

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
oil pumps
« on: 25.05. 2021 22:17 »
Thank you Bsareg!  I found the CPC brackets online.  They are a brilliant design, and at a reasonable cost.

This almost makes up for the some of the recent setbacks on my project, such as discovering that the original oil pump is completely seized...

It’s not uncommon to find seized pumps if made in mazak, they are fixable at zero cost in most cases given time and patience. It’s good practice to check these pumps rotate freely before running a bike been left standing a while, they might work for a while then strip the gears driving them with horrible results.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: oil pumps
« Reply #1 on: 26.05. 2021 07:59 »
 Good advice there from Kiwi. Always use caution with a barnfind bike and don't just jump on the kicker. Seized pumps can be dismantled by heating up with a hot air gun or in the oven when SWMBO is away.  The gears and shaft can usually be tapped from the body. Bloated and cracked bodies should be rejected, but if it looks reasonable, well worth playing with. Plenty on the Forum already about the finer aspects of pumps.

Swarfy.

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.05. 2021 15:39 »
Thanks Swarfy.  The pump spins freely if I loosen the four screws on the end plate, but seizes up firmly when I tighten them again.  I've read the threads on how to fix it, but replacement seems the safer bet.  I will be ordering a new SRM oil pump as soon as I recover from the shock of the price.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.05. 2021 16:14 »
Is the little separate fibre washer in place at the nose of the pump?
Always makes me cringe when I see posts on F-B where someone's showing off his latest barn find, and someone else suggests he "pours in some juice and give it a kick".

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.05. 2021 00:41 »
Thanks Swarfy.  The pump spins freely if I loosen the four screws on the end plate, but seizes up firmly when I tighten them again.  I've read the threads on how to fix it, but replacement seems the safer bet.  I will be ordering a new SRM oil pump as soon as I recover from the shock of the price.

On a B44 pump (similar) I found that a tiny bit of corrosion/swelling on the body, under the gears, caused exactly the symptoms you have described, to fix it I measured the width of the gears (the gears next to the plate, the drive end gears were not the cause) and then used wet and dry sandpaper on a piece of glass  to slightly reduce the gear width, by under 002. This fixed it and saved a bundle of $$$ compared to buying a new one.

I have maybe 6 of these pumps, two I have fixed for spares the other 4, I am 99% certain would respond to the same sort of treatment.

To get the extra 35% flow of the srm pump you can just buy a65 gears and fit them in an A10 body, or get a whole a65 pump and fit the a10 drive end into it.

As you can tell I am too mean to buy the SRM  pump!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.05. 2021 08:26 »
 We're only talking a very small amount of swelling to prevent rotation. A paper gasket under the endplate usually works and gives an idea of the amount of material causing the problem. If its a "bubble" it will show as a high spot in the casting, but this may prove difficult to remedy because of awkward access. A worn end plate will also save the day rather than shortening gears. Not for the purists, but an easy backyard fix. I suppose an aluminium foil gasket and a bit of skill with a modelling knife is also worth a try....

Swarfy.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 28.05. 2021 20:10 »
i have had this fault before and the reason is someones swopped the oil pump gears at some stage. you need to find a drive gear that doesnt bind from another oil pump. they seem to have been crudely manufactured and matched on the bench. bolted together with the drive gear removed the gears should revolve easily.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.05. 2021 08:44 »
Fine grinding paste and a lathe/drill soon sorts out a binding gear.
Velocette even recommended this method many years back. The main thing is to ensure the gears go back in the same places and orientation as they were when the pump was opened up.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 29.05. 2021 09:30 »
Topic split from original.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tomkilde

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 22.06. 2021 02:36 »
Update - I made a pair of very thin (0.15 mm) gaskets to take some pressure off the gears at either end of the housing.  I also polished the mating surface of the "nose" end.  This bike sat unused for nearly thirty years, and it looked like the alloy had softened and oozed into the spaces between the gear teeth.  The pump spins freely now and is back on the engine.  Still eyeing a new SRM or Hepolite pump for a future upgrade.
1961 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1983 BMW R80/RT

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.06. 2021 10:13 »
When restoring my bike 9 years ago I decided to change the oil pump. The price of an SRM pump scared the bejasus out of me. I got wind of a newly made pump sold by John Bantam Phelan. His pump promises higher capacity and is steel. The pump was half the cost of the SRM one. I told duTch about the pump and he bought one as well. Does anyone else here have one of those pumps?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 22.06. 2021 13:30 »
 Bergs is in Bantam John's neck of the woods. These pumps are mentioned in the Forum some years ago, and time marches on.

Drags also offered an own brand replacement pump, and possibly new bodies requiring final finishing, alas beyond my expertise.

Hepolite pumps appear to be Cast Iron,  (as on later A65's) which I would prefer to the alloy body SRM pump.

Interestingly the price difference between the latter two makes an informed choice even harder. No point in pricing TOO far behind the market leader......  It needs another competitor to shake up the market.

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.06. 2021 16:38 »
Hepolite pumps appear to be Cast Iron, (as on later A65's) which I would prefer to the alloy body SRM pump.
Maybe my pump came from the same source.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #13 on: 23.06. 2021 11:57 »
yes bergs is in b&$d john's neck of the woods but a bit too far away for an accurate shot

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.06. 2021 17:49 »
yes bergs is in b&$d john's neck of the woods but a bit too far away for an accurate shot
He was OK with me 😁
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK