Author Topic: Petrol tank fitting.  (Read 336 times)

Offline Tomo

• Active
Petrol tank fitting.
« on: 29.06. 2021 22:04 »
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before. Has any one got a few photos of where the fuel tank pads fit to the top tube of the frame please. 1960 A10 GF.

I did have pipe insulation on it before with the original tank (which has died) but after getting a new tank (from a good UK supplier) feel that I should do things the right way.

The front anti roll rubbers miss the tank side by 10mm either side which indicates that the tank tunnel is not quite right, any ideas? I was thinking of a couple of old fashioned door stops to fill the gap!

Thanks

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Petrol tank fitting.
« Reply #1 on: 30.06. 2021 19:47 »
The rubber buffers fit in either the upper or lower holes, position depends on the tank fitted and hence its underside profile. With an aftermarket non genuine repro tank this will hardly be considered, and any thickness or suitable sized buffer to steady the tank will be fine. I'll keep your secret, promise. Nice rubber pad over the top tube, buffers doing their job, tank brace at the front, job's a good 'un.

Swarfy

Offline Tomo

• Active
Re: Petrol tank fitting.
« Reply #2 on: 30.06. 2021 21:07 »
Hi Swarfcut,
 thanks for your reply. Actually I was wrong..again. I got a couple of new anti roll rubbers today only to find that the originals had shrunk by about 8mm per side (well they were probably put on in 1960), so after fitting the new ones it is super snug.
Brace and pads fit well, so far so good.
Test ride required.
The noise from a vibrating tank took a while to find. I thought it was the big end/stupid manganese bronze bush again! Phew, thankfully not.
Very worrying noise, only when I opened it up or de throttled. i.e. vibration time.....