Author Topic: Running in  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: Running in
« Reply #30 on: 10.06. 2021 19:20 »
Hi Scott, or Jay??
Before I ordered my pistons I spoke with Adrian over the phone who invited me over to their HQ, where he measured my bores and advised me on options on how to proceed, he was extremely helpful and very personable. While I was there he removed the rings from a set of pistons in order to measure them in my bores. So I knew they were ok to remove, though as you say are thinner than old ones and little trickier to remove and replace.
 Not sure my neighbours would let me get away with the static method, so planning on a few circuits of the block to check everything is ok, then a couple of short local runs of about 40 miles each before taking it any further.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #31 on: 12.06. 2021 11:52 »
Just avoid high revs and lugging for the first couple hundred miles has always been my motto....

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 12.06. 2021 12:01 »
Just avoid high revs and lugging for the first couple hundred miles has always been my motto....
Simples!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 13.06. 2021 10:37 »
Simples!

I've learned since buying and attempting to sort this bike out, there ain't nowt "simples" about it.
 Lol.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 14.06. 2021 01:34 »
At risk of saying what has been said before but unable to resist the urge to comment, I have had a couple of machines fail to bed their rings in and have since then assembled the bores dry. The motor is otherwise fully lubed and I spend a considerable amount of time kicking the bike over without plug/s in order to prime the pump. I have, since I adopted this method, had no problems with rings bedding in and my A10 now slowly turns its oil to a rich mahogany colour without a hint of black. I also think that the first 1000 miles should be travelled without labouring the motor and with the occasional burst of revs in order to fully sweep the bores. 
NZ