Author Topic: Gear box cam plate  (Read 722 times)

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
Gear box cam plate
« on: 20.06. 2021 00:40 »
Gents. Just wondering if I need to have a spacer behind the cam plate? Have been trying to figure out why it keeps jumping out of neutral and noticed there's a 2-3mm gap behind the cam plate and gear box shell. So if its moving towards the shell it will disengage from the plunger.... nothing in the parts list or service sheet about needing a spacer. Cheers in advance
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: Gear box cam plate
« Reply #1 on: 21.06. 2021 04:21 »
Does it not have a pivot pin to sit on, which is mounted from outside the case.?
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2021 01:26 »
Gents. Just wondering if I need to have a spacer behind the cam plate? Have been trying to figure out why it keeps jumping out of neutral and noticed there's a 2-3mm gap behind the cam plate and gear box shell. So if its moving towards the shell it will disengage from the plunger.... nothing in the parts list or service sheet about needing a spacer. Cheers in advance

Maybe some photos of the cam plate and where it sits might help, from memory there is no spacer there.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2021 03:03 »
The axial movement of the camplate should be limited by the selector forks which bear flat against the camplate.
The selector forks' position is determined by the shaft they slide along.

Suggest you install camplate and both selector forks (on their shaft).

Also insert detent plunger.

Leave the middle casing (bearing carrier) off and check end float.

Richard

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.06. 2021 18:33 »
Hi Superflash
What type of gearbox are you asking about? The camplate  is different on plunger gearboxes as is the mounting for it

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 23.06. 2021 05:24 »
Gents. So I've pulled the innards of the gearbox out, and discovered that the pivot pin has a shoulder that corresponds to another shoulder inside the cam plate.

I guess this is what stops the cam plate from wandering off the plunger tip?

Cheers

68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.06. 2021 08:34 »
 SF.  That sounds a bit strange. All my plunger camplates are plain, flat faced towards the pivot shoulder. The camplate should end up positioned centrally over the plunger tip, free to turn and with no axial play. From the description there is a counterbore on the camplate,  that shouldn't be there. As suggested by Orabanda, all easy to assemble and check.
 Reading through your earlier posts this gearbox has had a few assembly issues from an earlier time, so take nothing as being correct.

S/A Camplate has teeth to match selector quadrant. Plunger type has distinct lugs  which engage in the selector arm claw so no mistaking the correct one for the box. Plenty of internet images to compare with what you have.

Swarfy.

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 23.06. 2021 20:29 »
You're probably right. The whole thing has been butchered at some point in it's life. I ended up getting a new kick start quadrant as shaft on the old one had been dealt to with an angle grinder. And the dramas continue. Taking the whole lump out is looking more likely.
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 29.06. 2021 04:17 »
Seems bit of a pity I have to pull the whole thing apart again just to get the gearbox out... still practice makes perfect I guess.

I think there is ample evidence of skullduggery to justify it though. To be honest, the gearbox is the weak link in the whole build as I haven't done too much to it compared to the motor what with new this, that and everything in between. So will replace all bushes and bearings. Already got new kickstart quadrant and ratchet, cam-plate, layshaft, thrust washers and drive sprocket. The gear clusters looked alright, so will leave them alone.
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville