Author Topic: Orabanda Bikes  (Read 1606 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Orabanda Bikes
« on: 13.09. 2009 15:30 »
Rather than further obfuscating Simon's "What goes in this hole, then?" topic, which has gone down more roads than what was originally in that hole, I thought I would just make this new topic for when Orabanda's bikes are the issue. Aside from a museum, I don't know who has more. (Brian, Trevor, I know you are up there in count, as well.)  Those of us with only one have more time for typing and for owning your bikes vicariously.

So, Richard, and others here, my current question surrounds the toolbox on the bike in the pictures that I think is a '54 Golden Flash, based on the engine number "CA10 562". Do you know the exact years for which the flat-topped swingarm toolbox is correct? I had figured that the round-top box on my '55 was correct, as the owner before '73 seems to have scavenged an A50 for the not-correct parts on my bike. So, I can't quite figure out how the round-top box got there if it is not original.

"Why," you ask, "have you kept the A50 parts?" That's something of a twisted story, but one reason is that, in '73, when I bought the bike for U.S. $50, I knew nothing and didn't care about parts originality. After U.S. $3,000 to a shop for restore, the left-turner (U.S., of course) did his job in '79. Keeping the old parts is, aside from cheaper, a bit of an homáge to this bike of my past and present.

Richard L.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Orabanda Bikes
« Reply #1 on: 13.09. 2009 15:47 »
Richard L,
I am certainly not an authority on things BSA; there will be much wiser people than me out there.

I had the machine dated by BSAOC, and it was dispatched on 29th Dec 53. My '56 RR also has the flat toolbox. I think the round ones came in about '59 - '60.

Regards,
Richard

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.09. 2009 16:05 »
Richard L,
Like many others, the main function for my tool box is oil filter!

Regards,
Richard

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.09. 2009 16:53 »
I am looking into getting a flat tool box. I don't know when I would make the change, but, at least I'd have it.

Please remind me (us?), which oil filter is that, and, are those adapted stock armored oil lines or are they of your own making?

Thank you,

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 13.09. 2009 17:22 »
Not sure either about the date for the change from flat to round, but my B is BSAOC dated '56, seems to have all the right bits of tin (apart from a later alternator engine that is) - and is flat; my A is '59 and is rounded. Eccentrically, they both carry tools, along with the coil and a 2nd condenser for the B, and a DVR2 for the A. Luckily, BSAs seem to need no roadside attention once sorted, so there's probably a ladybird's nest, arachnids various and a few dead mice in them now . . . .
Bill

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.09. 2009 22:08 »
Richard L,
                  The flat sided toolbox and oil tank were used until the end of the 1957 year.
In 1958 the rounded items were introduced along with the relocation of the knee pads on the fuel tank. This doesn't apply to the tanks with the pressed metal badges as they were finished.
Trev.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 13.09. 2009 23:32 »
Richard L,
That's my own filter head, with a commonly available element.

I am able to use one of the two standard oil lines, but modify the second one.

Richard

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2009 04:04 »
Well, that was fast. I got a flat-top oil tank on eBay for $58 (about 35 GBP) including shipping. Not great shape, but I think it is a rather good price. Don't know when or if it will go on the '55-registered bike, but, at least, I've got it.

Richard L.