Author Topic: VMCC ride-out today  (Read 66 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
VMCC ride-out today
« on: 27.06. 2021 15:29 »
I attended a local Vintage MotorCycle Club ride this morning.
The most exotic machine there was a Brough Superior that was shining like a diamond. Jeez that thing looked heavy; it made by Beezer seem like a lightweight!

The Brough had a rear stand that clipped up onto the back mudguard but it also had a conventional centre stand that the owner obviously found easier to use. The bike also had a small side stand attached to the outer end of the left footpeg. When the (well built) owner set off, I cringed to see him sitting on the bike, rocking it forward off its centre stand. The ride was something like 45 miles, ending at a country pub for refreshment. When we were getting our gear on in preparation to go our separate ways I saw Brough man doing the same trick with the stand. I noticed that his stand had not fully returned to its up position so I brought it to his attention. The stand had broken under the heavy load. I helped the chap get the Brough onto its rear stand and he tied the legs of the broken stand to the bottom frame tubes with strips of torn rag from his toolkit. I hope he got home safely.
Greybeard (Neil)
1955 Golden Flash, sprung frame
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Resident Legend
Re: VMCC ride-out today
« Reply #1 on: 27.06. 2021 16:33 »
Stands (both centre and side) must be the most abused parts of bikes ever. I watched some eejit attempting to start his A10 on the side-stand on the last meeting we had.
 Clearly the bloke with the Brough never had those modern-day essentials, Tie-Wraps, in his toolkit though.  ;)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: VMCC ride-out today
« Reply #2 on: 27.06. 2021 18:01 »
... Clearly the bloke with the Brough never had those modern-day essentials, Tie-Wraps, in his toolkit though.  ;)
I'll add some to my own kit 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
1955 Golden Flash, sprung frame
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash