Author Topic: Fractal vice anyone  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: Fractal vice anyone
« Reply #15 on: 29.07. 2021 14:41 »
Hey Groily, nice one.
any chance of uploading a vid to YouTube of it in use? I've got a spare machine vice that's just begging to be b**ggered up.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #16 on: 30.07. 2021 11:19 »
Hi Jase,
Don't know how to do vids I'm afraid, but a pic or two for you. Was going to send as a PM so as not to bore the rest of the world and its wife to death, but when I got there couldn't see how to send pix on PMs. Sorry, R o W!

Works OK for what it is - the grip is easily strong enough for drilling and tapping (with support under any bits that are in mid-air perhaps). It's maybe OK for light milling at a push depending on shape/material (almost certainly not steel), we'll see! The items here don't need anything 'doing', they're just things that are lying around.

I am going to have to get pivoty pads onto the ends of the screws though somehow, so they grip at an angle that matches the workpiece. Will probably need to contrive a selection in fact, owing to there being only 4 screws a side, and horizontally-aligned due to shallow jaws on that particular vice.
Deeper jaws and multiple layers of screws with swivelly brass pads on their noses would be more useful. (Which was why I liked the idea of a load of steel pins in each jaw, to take up any shape, full depth as it were.)

Silly exercise really, I know it is, because I don't have the skills to make something seriously good - but it amuses me all the same (it's raining again) and you never know, might even come in useful!
Cheers,
Bill
Bill

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2021 16:46 »
Groily, that looks like it has a thousand uses as it is, nice one. I'm definitely going to adapt the little machine vice I've got in a similar way, but maybe as you suggest have a second row of screws beneath, then a box of odd shaped lumps of steel with shallow holes drilled to fit between the screws and whatever work is being held.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2021 01:21 »
The problem, as I see it, is having a vice to hold the vice jaws as you drill them.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 31.07. 2021 09:12 »
The problem, as I see it, is having a vice to hold the vice jaws as you drill them.

Richard L.
A new version of which came first;  the chicken or the egg?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 31.07. 2021 10:07 »
While lathes are about the only things on the planet without DNA that can replicate themselves, in part, a vice (of the non-bedroom sort) sadly doesn't qualify!
(I always tell the grand-kids it was the Chigg. They know I'm really dumb, so appreciate the confirmation!)
Bill

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 31.07. 2021 14:05 »
   "Vise"    :o

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 31.07. 2021 15:09 »
In COLOUR
Bill

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 31.07. 2021 17:33 »
Why do Americans have to keep altering the English language? What with potato chips becoming crisps, bumpers becoming fenders, bonnets becoming hoods, boots a trunk  .............. The thing on my bench is a vice, but if transported westwards it becomes a vise. Why? 
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 31.07. 2021 18:09 »
'Vice' as in advice, ice, nice, rice, advice.

'Vise' as in advise, rise, advertise, circumcise, comprise
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 31.07. 2021 18:49 »
Why do Americans have to keep altering the English language?

Anyone who watches Countdown (CH4 2.10) will know that we are as guilty of altering English as anyone, not that I'm in favour (favor).
My pet hate at the moment is the Westminster mob who continually pronounce "to" as "tu" - next time a government minister is on just listen out
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 01.08. 2021 00:16 »
Over here in ‘stralia we are so screwed being heavily influenced by both Pommy and Yankee cultures to the point now where the perfectly serviceable crisp has been replaced by the new fangled chip which then has to be distinguished from the fresh cooked version (aka fries) by an adverb so we now have “hot chips” for chips and “cold chips” for bloody crisps!

Now for my current pet hate of a made up word….drum roll…this goes way beyond just a revised spelling… how about “normalcy” for normality.  *pull hair out*

"Vise"    :o

You asked for this Richard  *smile* although I will add I heard the other day and this is not easy for me to say but apparently the spelling of aluminium by us Poms is actually incorrect and the original term was in fact aluminum! (Something to do with its position in the molecular table, so it doesn’t fit with the heavy metals like palladium, rhodium, chromium, Californium etc.
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 01.08. 2021 09:10 »
This thread is going a tad off-topic. However, I'll submit, 'Burglerised'. What next, 'Burglerisation'? 'Burglerisationism'? 😜
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #29 on: 01.08. 2021 11:24 »
How about antiburglarisationalism.

BagONails
"but apparently the spelling of aluminium by us Poms is actually incorrect and the original term was in fact aluminum! (Something to do with its position in the molecular table, so it doesn’t fit with the heavy metals like palladium, rhodium, chromium, Californium etc."

So where does magnesium (delete I's as necessary) fit in?? Or unobtanium? Or Abittrickytofindium?
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR