Author Topic: 1950 golden flash kicker mechanism  (Read 467 times)

Offline gary

• Moving Up
1950 golden flash kicker mechanism
« on: 06.07. 2021 17:09 »
hi my kicker mechanism on the 50 is messing up a little i have the 49/53 and 54/57 parts book. they show different part numbers for the kicker quadrant and gear on mainshaft seems to me teeth on quadrant are a little bigger than teeth on mainshaft gear. there are no broken or chipped teeth on either one. wondering if i have a missed match set? kicker seems to slip a fair amount when i try to start.is there a difference from semi unit and pre unit? thanks
Pennsylvania

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1950 golden flash kicker mechanism
« Reply #1 on: 06.07. 2021 18:24 »
I've seen this topic come through here many times. If you try searching you'll probably find an answer to the question.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 06.07. 2021 21:47 »
G'day Gary.
Two types of quadrant/pinion were used. Pointy and flat teeth can't be mixed. Slipping is worn quadrant shaft bushes, jamming is worn pinion bush.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline gary

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 07.07. 2021 12:22 »
hi muskrat that is interesting i did a search on e-bay for a-10 gearbox and i did find a couple outer covers and i did notice the ones i found did have the pointed teeth. and those said pre-unit. could not find a semi-unit outer cover with kicker quadrant. what is on bike now seem to be flatter. if anyone would have a pic of semi unit quadrant would be much appreciated. thanks again.
Pennsylvania

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.07. 2021 15:47 »
  Gary.  To endorse GB's earlier comment this is well reported already on the Forum. The kickstart design remained the same throughout all models and years with minor modification over time. As long as the tooth profile for quadrant and pinion matches (Pointy or Flat), then the kickstart will work. Early A7 Longstroke and Rigid/Plunger bikes have the flat top teeth, which is also found in early S/A bikes. When the pointed teeth profile was introduced, this went onto all model ranges and so this was also used on Plunger bikes to the end of their production. Add to that folks fitted whatever they could get, not necessarily the correct parts for the model year, but as long as the teeth profiles match, you'll be fine.

Swarfy.