Author Topic: Charging  (Read 422 times)

Offline Wheelwright

• Active
Charging
« on: 29.06. 2021 21:43 »
Ok, I need the opinion of an electrics/electronics wizard. I rebuilt my Road Rocket as standard with 6v Dynamo/MCR2 regulator. I was having problems with the regulator so I switched it for a Wassel electronic unit that was on the shelf. Initially it worked fine, for 2 engine starts, then it stopped. If I take a power supply to the field of the dynamo and just touch it then everything works, until the next time I start it. I have checked and there is no power from the regulator to the dynamo field, flash the field and off it goes. I know the Wassel doesn’t have good reviews, I will replace it, but thought I would ask if this had been encountered before?

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
Re: Charging
« Reply #1 on: 29.06. 2021 21:53 »
Dynamo's rely on residual magnetism to start them off. Going for a longer run may help but the Wassel unit doesn't have a good reputation for start up.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.06. 2021 22:38 »
Ok, I need the opinion of an electrics/electronics wizard. I rebuilt my Road Rocket as standard with 6v Dynamo/MCR2 regulator. I was having problems with the regulator so I switched it for a Wassel electronic unit that was on the shelf. Initially it worked fine, for 2 engine starts, then it stopped. If I take a power supply to the field of the dynamo and just touch it then everything works, until the next time I start it. I have checked and there is no power from the regulator to the dynamo field, flash the field and off it goes. I know the Wassel doesn’t have good reviews, I will replace it, but thought I would ask if this had been encountered before?

I have encountered the same symptoms with a 6v system and dvr2, and it was a case of old (soft) brushes causing a resistance and preventing the “start up” from residual magnetism. The dynamo passed the “motor test” but would not do the start up, or  do the “join the field and armature wire together”  generation test. New brushes cured it permanently, cleaning the commutator fixed it, but only for a couple of hundred miles before the issue returned.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 30.06. 2021 10:28 »
bsareg glad you pointed that out. i set off on a run and noticed no charge on mine for about a mile and a half , thinking to myself WHAT NEXT! all of a sudden it kicked in . happy days *beer*