Author Topic: Easycap source  (Read 1224 times)

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
Easycap source
« on: 04.08. 2021 06:50 »
Hi Everyone
I need a new C01 Easycap condenser but the Brightspark web site advises that they're not shipping orders at the moment - does anyone know an alternate source?
Cheers
Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Easycap source
« Reply #1 on: 04.08. 2021 08:00 »
We are shipping Tim, website needs straightening out, and will when we can. Or try one of the local resellers under Links on the site. One or other ought to have some unless they're holding them for repair work only.
Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2021 08:46 »
Thanks Bill - order inbound.
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #3 on: 04.08. 2021 12:12 »
Hi guys.  Ok, I'm reckoning my maggy is goosed.  Changed and cleaned everything I could think of and took it for a run yesterday - ran like a bag full of fireworks with some spanners thrown in.  After I stopped and filled up, as before it wouldn't start from hot (or even very warm), had to pour a bottle of water to try to cool it down a little.  It did finally start, but ran really badly.  So, questions are thus:

1. Swarfy reckons I could do this at home.  I've looked into the EasyCap condensectomy and I'm a little confused about what to do with the wiring once the 'snip' procedure is complete.  It seems to suggest cutting the wire, but then reconnecting it at some point??
2.  Not sure if other parts of the unit are breaking down.  I've no idea whether it's ever been rebuilt.
3.  Any advice as to how to do this would be great.  I don't know, without checking, whether it's a brass or steel backing plate.  I think the former is CO1 and the latter CO4??
4.  Is there any possiblity (before I take the timing cover off) that this could be related to an ATD malfunction.  The mechanism was a little sloppy on rebuild.  I have a refurbed unit with new levers and springs which is a lot less sloppy - would it be worth checking that out first?

It's looking like the rest of my summer is going to be in the garage - unless, of course, I can get things fixed or get a spare bike!

Cheers in advance!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.08. 2021 14:54 »
Did you change the brushes? If you did, are they good 'uns or do they write like an HB pencil? If they do, bin them soonest and get some better ones not off ebay probably. And clean the slipring to get the black smears of soft carbon compeletely off it. Dust from soft ones will stick to the slipring and track all round it, making the firing behaviour very weird.

If the condenser does need changing, then the 'snip' thing isn't that hard. You just need to identify and snip the live wire off the coil to the condenser.
If you have the armature in front of you, with the cb end away from you and the 'nose' of the slipring that goes through the hole in the brass uppermost, then the live wire is at 'lower right', drive end, behind the brass bit nearest to you.
That wire has two strands in the one insulating sheath. They need to stay connected to each other, but NOT connected to the condenser. That way, the live feed from the coil goes along the coil to the contact breaker end via the second strand, but NOT via the condenser. The two strands are often soldered up nicely and all you have to do is insulate the snipped end to ensure no bare bits can get to anything metallic. If the strands end up separated post-snip, just solder then carefully together and insulate.
The other little wire, same end, diagonally 'uppermost' if you hold the thing as above, is the earth. That earths the HT and low tension in one go, and also the old condenser, which is now out of circuit because you've snipped the wire off the other side of it. So leave it untouched.

Brass is C01, steel is C04, yup.

An ATD fault could cause grief if the unit isn't moving off full retard, it's possible. But sloppy indicates a tendency to advance early and probably stay there, so I'd say 'unlikely' to be causing fireworks, more likely lumpiness at tickover and very low revs. The hot starting hassle is most likely condenser, if it's not a fouled up slipring & brushes syndrome.

Worst case, you've got coil trouble. Worth just checking for HT continuity from the brass bits of the slipring with pick-ups off, to mag body. You want to see a few thousand ohms, 5000 would be typical, but continuity is only part of th battle, as the insulation may break down hot, or various other things conspire to spoil your day. If you see Mega ohms, Infinite / Open Line then there's a break in it or it's not connected to the slipring probably.

If the mag is original and the coil doubtful, you'll be in for the full monty to be honest, and it would be false economy not to replace anything that isn't in great shape, bearings included. Doing it once properly beats piecemeal every time, and is better for the blood pressure!
Bill

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.08. 2021 15:40 »
Cheers Groily.  I think I could have a go at the 'snip' procedure, but I do have reservations about the overall condition of the unit as I have no idea of its past.  I'd also like to get my hands on a spare so I can see how it all goes together/comes apart.

Perhaps it may be better to have it professionally assessed, after all, the bike's going nowhere without a spark!

I did get new brushes/pickups.  I tested them on paper and they did leave a faint mark, like the old ones.  The thing is, the bike ran really well on the old ones for around 8000 miles without any real problems at all.  Should decent brushes leave any mark on paper and, if not, could you suggest where I could get good quality ones?

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply.  If you have any pictures of the live and earth wires close up, that'd make things a lot clearer for me if I do decide to have a go.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.08. 2021 16:24 »
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/condensectomy/quick_snip.htm
has some pix and words which ought to clarify - orientation of armature, which wire, etc etc.

On the brushes, if they leave just faint traces after scribing a line or two to get any dust off the end, they're fine. It's the ones that leave great black streaks you have to avoid. Sounds as if you're OK on that front.
Suggest you check for that HT continuity next, and if it's there, probably worth doing the snipping. If it isn't, back to the drawing board and proper overhaul I fear.
Good luck!
Bill

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.08. 2021 16:26 »
Groily
What a great write up! I'm going to copy and save that to somewhere (if you have no objections);for when I might need to do this. Touch wood it's all working at the moment.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.08. 2021 17:11 »
Feel free Jase. I reckon the website is a bit thorougher if there's such a word (GB will confirm or more likely deny, as Resident Expert Wordsmith!), but, l share the Grateful Dead's (I think it was them anyway) attitude to live recordings ( as in Help Yourself!)
Bill

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.08. 2021 17:31 »
[quoteOn the brushes, if they leave just faint traces after scribing a line or two to get any dust off the end, they're fine. It's the ones that leave great black streaks you have to avoid. Sounds as if you're OK on that front.][/quote]

No great black streaks, although a tad heavier if you press hard.  'Thorougher' probably should be a word, but I think it'll probably go down as a 'Groilyism'. *smile*

May have a replacement on the way.  If so, I may be back on the road sooner than I think.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.08. 2021 09:19 »
Update on the maggy situation.

Purchased an 'off the shelf' item from Priory Magnetos, keeping my own for future exploration/repair.  Item arrived with new HT leads and plug caps.  Fitted over the weekend.

So, first up.  When I took off the ATD, 3 of the four rivets fell out *angry* *angry* - this was 'repaired' by a 'engineer' mate of mine!  Fortunately, I had rebuilt another item with new fibre gear properly, so had that to hand.  Next issue was that my ATD had no dished washer or 'C' clip, so I had to take mine apart and transfer the bolt/washer assembly from the old ATD to the new!   Always though the washer could pass over the bolt head but, apparently, that was only the later ones.  Next, I had to make a gasket out of gasket paper as the old one had ripped.

Maggie was then fitted and timing begins (never timed any vehicle in my life before).  Set the BTDC at around 8mm or 11/32 using the rod down the plug hole technique.  Got a buzzer from Priory Magnetos for £15 with instructions - absolutely brilliant.  Tightened ATD by holding maggie steady with a spanner on the centre nut on the contact end.  FIRED UP FIRST KICK - after I reversed the plug leads (timed on r/h cylinder *smiley4*).  Next, need to go for a decent run to test - and particularly if it fires up when very hot!!

Quick question, if the timing is slightly out, what signs should I be aware of.  It starts on first kick and ticks over beautifully.

Oh, and one last thing PRIORY MAGNETOS IS STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS.  I know Andrew doesn't post much at present, but he's still keen to provide an excellent service to anyone who asks.  He couldn't have been more helpful with my maggy issue.

Take care all, wish me luck on the test ride later today.

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 09.08. 2021 09:50 »
Oh, and one last thing PRIORY MAGNETOS IS STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS.  I know Andrew doesn't post much at present, but he's still keen to provide an excellent service to anyone who asks.  He couldn't have been more helpful with my maggy issue.
It was a real shame that Andrew quit the forum; he is a great bloke.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.08. 2021 15:33 »
He certainly is!  Went for a 50m test ride today - bike ran beautifully and never missed a beat.  Pulls smoothly through from lowish revs in top (35mph-ish) through to an indicated 75mph - with more if I wanted it.  No sluggishness, pinking, spitting or poor tickover, so I'm guessing I'm pretty much there.  I was very careful setting it but, now it's done and works so well, I'm confident enough to do it again (the buzzer set up is invaluable).

I reckon the bike must have been a bit out before - unless the loose rivets affected the timing somewhat (plates are goosed in the ATD, probably due to the wear of the loose rivets rattling about).  The left hand downpipe is quite blue, and it did pink under load (up hills mainly).  Don't get any of that now.

So nice to have the bike back on the road and running well.  Just need to sort out why the left hand side of the rear tyre keeps getting splashed with oil.  Could be the breather - is there any fix to avoid oil being blown back onto the tyre??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 10.08. 2021 00:52 »
Sounds like you're pretty much sorted with the timing, though when I set mine at 8mm btdc it ran poorly, 11/32 btdc the difference is night and day. Having said that, I've done a lot of other work to it as well, new pistons, fresh bores, new main bearing, new big end shells etc before resetting the timing so who knows.

The oil over the left hand side of the rear wheel could be a knackered gear box oil seal, primary drive oil seal ( the one behind the clutch) or the P.D. chain case leaking. I'm having that issue myself, I'm convinced mine is the gearbox oil seal.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 10.08. 2021 09:03 »
... The oil over the left hand side of the rear wheel could be a knackered gear box oil seal, primary drive oil seal ( the one behind the clutch) or the P.D. chain case leaking. I'm having that issue myself, I'm convinced mine is the gearbox oil seal.
Gear oil has a distinctive smell.
The idea of using ATF in the primary seems a good idea so you can identify where oil is coming from.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash