Author Topic: A10 RGS spec engine clicking noise  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Evan91b

• Active
A10 RGS spec engine clicking noise
« on: 06.08. 2021 23:03 »
Hi all,

I have a clicking noise which is present and can be heard at the exhaust valve area when the engine is rotated in normal direction. However if I put the bike in gear and turn the wheel backwards, then the noise transfers to the inlet valves.

Could this be the backlash when valves are opening? I don't recall hearing it before and only noticed when I was timing the magneto and turning the engine back and forth. Valve guides are not loose and push rods look fully seated in the rockers. Clearances are set as per the book.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: A10 RGS spec engine clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: 07.08. 2021 07:22 »
Hi all,

I have a clicking noise which is present and can be heard at the exhaust valve area when the engine is rotated in normal direction. However if I put the bike in gear and turn the wheel backwards, then the noise transfers to the inlet valves.

Could this be the backlash when valves are opening? I don't recall hearing it before and only noticed when I was timing the magneto and turning the engine back and forth. Valve guides are not loose and push rods look fully seated in the rockers. Clearances are set as per the book.

Evan.
a magneto spark makes a clicking noise
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.08. 2021 07:52 »
Hi Evan, When timing the ignition recently, there was a clicking noise ( more a light TINK ) when I turned the motor backwards each time - but not forwards. Being paranoid ( Of course I am paranoid - what with the whole world out to get me.!! *grins*), I assumed I had cracked a new ring. However, no smoke now so not that. It was only emanating from the front of the motor, and my best guess was the dynamo brushes did not like reverse - perhaps the rearmost sharp edge catching on the commutator.?? No problem arose.! Otherwise perhaps valve timing gears backlash.??
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Evan91b

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 07.08. 2021 11:12 »
It's definitely not the magneto as I can feel the click when I touch each of the valve springs as they come up to close. Could be the dynamo brushes, but surely I wouldn't feel the click all the way up the top? Might have to take off the timing cases and check the cam nut is tight and to watch the gears.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 07.08. 2021 12:58 »
A clicking noise on my RGS drove me mad.  Eventually with the rocker box off and moving the rockers by hand, found a broken spring on the rocker shaft.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.08. 2021 13:20 »
Could be as the valves are closing and trying to drive the cam forwards, thereby taking up backlash.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 07.08. 2021 13:21 »
Sorry, meant to have added part no. 67-0062

Offline Evan91b

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 07.08. 2021 18:27 »
A quick follow up to this.

I went out for a quick ride to see if I could hear the noise while riding and now it's much louder.

I've put a video on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/Z51diRwmdlY

Plugs are removed and kicking it over. Definitely sounds like something within the valve train.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #8 on: 07.08. 2021 19:46 »
i have not been to the pub! i think that is a gudgeon pin thats thrown a circlip and its hitting the barrel. you need to take the rocker covers off and make sure all the tappets are uniform in adjustment and see if a push rod is bent hitting something but i think it's a pin *eek* BUT it sounds more aluminiumy , further investigation needed *problem*

Offline Evan91b

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 07.08. 2021 19:51 »
i have not been to the pub! i think that is a gudgeon pin thats thrown a circlip and its hitting the barrel. you need to take the rocker covers off and make sure all the tappets are uniform in adjustment and see if a push rod is bent hitting something but i think it's a pin *eek*

Yeah I will investigate. But still the noise is on the inlet valves when rotating backwards and exhaust valves when forwards. Now I'm thinking maybe it's big end or main bearing due to the fact it has got a lot louder now. The tappets were all good before and I couldn't see a bent push rod, but didn't take off the rocker box.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 07.08. 2021 21:24 »
G'day Evan.
Sounds just like the normal backlash (click - clack) of the timing gears but MUCH louder than I've ever heard. Wondering if tight valve to guide clearance could cause this.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 07.08. 2021 21:29 »
you might find a siezed valve in a loose guide , never a big end or main, unless your left hand main has square rollers

Offline Evan91b

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 07.08. 2021 21:49 »
G'day Evan.
Sounds just like the normal backlash (click - clack) of the timing gears but MUCH louder than I've ever heard. Wondering if tight valve to guide clearance could cause this.
Cheers

It wasn't this loud before, which is why I tried going for a ride, and then got worse. It may be quieter when the engine is cold, but the video was when hot. The noise definitely wasn't there like a week ago. So something has happened, just need to find out what.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 07.08. 2021 22:14 »
mine made noises like that when it threw a circlip, and another time when the 6 spring clutch middle decided to self destruct and a piece was clanging about. i think you have some spanner work to do *work* *work*

Offline Evan91b

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 07.08. 2021 22:21 »
mine made noises like that when it threw a circlip, and another time when the 6 spring clutch middle decided to self destruct and a piece was clanging about. i think you have some spanner work to do *work* *work*

I'll start the strip down tomorrow and then post my findings.

Evan.

1961 BSA RGS replica