Author Topic: Gearing up the A10 Golden Flash  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Gearing up the A10 Golden Flash
« on: 20.12. 2006 21:18 »
I was interested to learn in another posting that Lawrence was thinking about gearing up his A10 using a bigger gearbox sprocket.

During normal cruising my 1960 A10GF seems to be a bit revvy and appears to have the power to enable it to be geared up a little.  Instead of changing the gearbox sprocket I was considering taking the easier route and increasing the engine sprocket from 21 to 22 teeth.  Has anybody had experience of this?  Will the gearing be too tall?  What do you think?

I tend to use the bike for camping weekends and rallies so it gets a fair bit of motorway or dual carriageway running. 

Your advice and comments will be most welcome.

Beezageezauk.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Gearing up the A10 Golden Flash
« Reply #1 on: 20.12. 2006 22:57 »
Hello there, I've had 21, 20 & 19 at gear side. 21 was not right for the plunger GF, a little too heavy to get going comfortably in first, the clutch had a hard time. 20 was fine, 4th gear very nice for highway, less rpm, more relaxed. Solo riding, not sure with passenger etc.

(btw, I have a 21 sprocket to give away if I find it somewhere!).
Edit: sorry, it has completely vanished, as parts often does!

Hope this helps.
E-

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 21.12. 2006 07:36 »
I have one or two engine sprockets for the swinging arm models so I will have a look to see what they are. This is the usual one to change if you want to alter the gearing. Changing the gearbox sprocket involves taking off the clutch, chaincase etc. They won't fit my present bike which has the duplex chain.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 21.12. 2006 12:21 »
Hi Fido, yes, much easier to switch rear sprocket (not an option on plungers). Ay 'emember a rough rule of thumb from somewhere, 1 up gearside = 3 down rear. Personally was very happy with  getting the rpm down for cruising. A little less acceleration, but some gain in reaching higher speeds before gearing.

Have a fine day
E.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 21.12. 2006 19:14 »
Cheers Fido,

If you have a servicable 22 tooth engine sprocket to suit the S/A A10 I will happily buy it from you.  I have one but the 2 lobes don't mesh properly with the cush drive sleeve so I suspect it may be from a Triumph.

It would probably work but I know that it is not correct and don't want to take the chance.

Beezageezauk.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 24.12. 2006 15:18 »
Had a look, the 2 engine sprockets I have are 21 and 17 teeth. *sad2*

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 24.12. 2006 15:24 »
Cheers Fido.....thanks for looking.

Beezageezauk  *clap*

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #7 on: 13.01. 2007 20:43 »

Beezer Geezer!

What's your latest news on the sprocket changing, anything to tell?? As you know from another thread I wanted to change my gearbox sprocket from the 19 tooth to a 20 tooth to lower the revs and cruise a bit better on the motorways, I read at the start of this thread that you'd like to consider doing the same, but on the engine sprocket, (easier to get to). I looked earlier this evening and found that my engine sprocket IS already a 22 tooth sprocket! The bike goes very well so I reckon that if your G/B is 19t like mine then YES go for a 22 it will make a difference for the better. I am seriously wondering now if I'll be over gearing if I put my G/B at 20 with a 22t engine sprocket??

I had actually made a start to put on the fully enclosed chain case/guard that I bought at a recent auto jumble, it looks fantastic now that I have got the upper, lower and end bits on so I decided to go the whole hog an fit the front part which meant having to dismantle the whole primary chaincase. Dammit while doing that I bust the Clutch centre hub! I have a four spring triumph clutch assembley and it appears that the earlier one is slightly different to the later one. So at the moment I have a busted bike awaiting parts! Ignore the sprocket in the picture I thought it was an A10 one but it turns out to be a 1974 on Triumph 5 speed one. For sale if anyone wants it.

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 14.01. 2007 09:04 »
Yes, if you make this change you will end up with a tall first gear like on the Goldie. This will make it hard work in traffic jams. Don't do it, is my advice. *dunno2*

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 14.01. 2007 14:03 »
Hi Lawrence,

Sorry to learn that you bust your clutch centre.  At least the replacements are readily available.

If you are already running a 22t engine sprocket and want to gear up another notch, why not try a 23t engine sprocket.  As you know, the engine is easier to work on compared to the gearbox and the 23t engine sprockets are plentiful (I think I have a spare in the shed).  Should the gearing prove to be too high, as Fido suggested it might be, it would be an easy task to revert back to the 22t sprocket that you are running now.

I was looking for a second hand but servicable 22t engine sprocket.  New ones are few and far between and I didn't want to pay new prices in case my gearing ends up too high and I had to revert back to my 21t sprocket.  However, if your A10 is using this gearing, and you are happy with it, I'll order one if I can find a supplier.  The lists I have show 17, 18, 19, 21 and 23t engine sprockets.

Oh BTW Lawrence, going back to an earlier thread.  I've found a cheaper way to get to the Belgian International Rally.  My ferry will be Hull to Zeebrugge and I can get a good deal if four guys travel together on four bikes and share a four berth cabin.  I'm sharing with three lads from the Hull area.  Without meals, I have just been quoted £138 per person return, booking direct with P&O but with an AA discount.  I know that you won't be travelling this route but some other reader might be interested.

Spring is just around the corner and it won't be long before my camping gear gets an airing.  FYI, I won't be going to the John Bull Rally this year as it doesn't fall on a Bank Holiday weekend but I look forward to meeting up with you in a field somewhere else.  No doubt it will be behind a pub.  *beer*

Happy riding.

Beezageezauk.   

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #10 on: 14.01. 2007 18:02 »

BG.

Likely I will be traveling to the International via Dover Dunkirk as last year to the John Bull it was only £36. I may well have somewhere to kip over before the ferry crossing if his house moving goes ahead. I'll be at Kent Shauns place hopefully. I really must get the tickets sorted out. Who are the guys from Hull? Is it Dancing Dave and Glynn? I'll probably be seeing them up at the Warrington Winter Camp next weekend if the flash is road worthy again. The order for parts has been emailed to Ian at C+D Autos he is pretty quick on the turn around.

Cheers!
LJ.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 14.01. 2007 20:50 »
Hi again LJ,

Yeah...spot on.  It's Dancin' Dave & Co.  I travelled with them to last years John Bull and the Norwegian Summercamp.  Dave reckons he will be at the Warrington Winter Camp next weekend on his A10 cafe racer so you should see him there.

Beezageezauk.