Author Topic: primary chain tensioner  (Read 472 times)

Offline allenbrighton

• Active
primary chain tensioner
« on: 25.08. 2021 10:23 »
ho guys ---my a10 plunger tensioner [not available ]  has a metal shoe on it --does anyone know if there is a "nylon" shoe that would adapt to fit --i am wary about glueing --i dont want to butcher  the unit  1ve got . i have seen some adaptations , ordered several units , none are that satifactory at the moment

any ideas ?

stay safe
regards

allen

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: primary chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 25.08. 2021 17:38 »
The original tensioner is metal. I imagine the rubbing face is case hardened.
Musky made a nylon rubbing pad. Search the forum and you should find his write-up.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 25.08. 2021 20:04 »
G'day Allen.
Here's the topic GB mentions https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4362.msg29240#msg29240
After 10 years (only about 10K miles) it's still like new.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #3 on: 26.08. 2021 01:38 »
G'day Allen.
Here's the topic GB mentions https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4362.msg29240#msg29240
After 10 years (only about 10K miles) it's still like new.
Cheers

I fitted that to my A7 plunger, worked well no problems, SHMBO still doesn't know what happened to the bit off her cutting board ;)
Peter 

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.08. 2021 08:09 »
    All tensioners of this slipper type will wear initially until the grooves cut by the chain side plates are deep enough for the rollers to become the main load bearing elements. The high rate of metallic degradation then becomes negligible, which is why Musky's relatively soft pad can laugh at the chain's muted cutting efforts.

The tensioners were not made with any true precision. The mounting side and curved business end are sometimes not at a true 90 degree angle, and the wear in one cut track is deeper. Many are Hard Chromed, otherwise just a plain stamping. I doubt they are hardened but are nevertheless pretty tough. Making one for the short tem is a simple exercise, but you will need to drain the oil regularly to start with and clear metallic debris from the chaincase. Not so with a used example. The chain needs to have a little bit of slack when hot, but not be board tight when cold. Wobble in the clutch chainwheel allows the chain to move sideways and there are some horrendously abused examples of this mis- understood simple tensioner to be found.

Swarfy.