Author Topic: who needs a sludge trap  (Read 1463 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: who needs a sludge trap
« Reply #15 on: 28.08. 2021 09:59 »
GB she is so layed back she's horizontal most of the time *lol*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.08. 2021 10:19 »
GB she is so layed back she's horizontal most of the time *lol*
FNARR! 😜
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 28.08. 2021 11:37 »
RD - if i took a bit off the outside of the tap then i guess the cutting edge of the lands would be blunt - given the bolt thread is losing its outer edge, I wonder if a blunt tap would remedy the female thread's damage? and accurately starting the tap in the damaged thread could be tricky
Wouldn't be blunt privided the grinding was slightly angled, in the same way a drill is sharpened. Hell, we're only talking a couple of thousandths of an inch - maybe no more than a thou off each segment. Frankly, you won't notice the difference between that an an unmolested tap.
Whilst I usually defer to John's advice in light of his engineering experience, I have to diasgree with the silver steel idea. A fair bit of work involved, when the alternative would take perhaps a minute or less at the bench grinder. But, more importantly, silver steel tends to be brittle and I'd rather not contemplate leaving part of a hard home-made tap broken off at the bottom of a hole in the crank.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 29.08. 2021 07:08 »
I've had some luck at getting the flywheel back on. it needs to be fitted to the correct side (as it came off), wiggled past the crank web initially at 180 deg rotated from where the flywheel bolts will eventually fit, then pressed in (still 180 deg out) and THEN once squarely on the crank rotated and aligned with the bolt holes.

when the flywheel came out the oven at 200 deg C it was surprisingly easy to fit (wearing double gloves). but it is hard to align accurately enough to get the bolts back in.

I can heat sufficiently with the mapp-pro torch and move it around a bit, but any tips on getting it aligned? I don't want to just force or wriggle the bolts in as will likely re-damage the threads.

RD / John - i'm pausing on the taps atm to see if this method will work. thanks for the ideas - i'm learning a lot.

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #19 on: 29.08. 2021 10:31 »
if the holes are nearly lined up i would get a hide hammer and try to bounce the flywheel into position. flywheel in vice and a block of wood to knock crank *dunno2*

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 29.08. 2021 17:47 »
I've not fitted a flywheel on an A series - it's a daft design which would put me in the wrong mood before I started. Those flywheels should have been bolted to a flange. Anyway, if it were me, I'd get the flywheel a darn sight hotter than 200*C, the plan being to get it in place and a bolt into a thread before it started to grip the crank.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 29.08. 2021 22:50 »
.... the plan being to get it in place and a bolt into a thread before it started to grip the crank.
Yes, that was my thinks as well.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash