Author Topic: Clutch cover with hole worn through it  (Read 1426 times)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clutch cover with hole worn through it
« Reply #15 on: 13.09. 2021 23:45 »
Hi Degsy,
I'm sure I read on here somewhere that the SRM type nut fouls the outer case on a plunger model?
The new nut you posted above would solve your problem, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254121076906
This tool or a Peugeot ball joint socket will allow you to tighten the nut properly
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185034420321
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161272516269

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 14.09. 2021 08:41 »
Swarfy

Thanks for the advice, I have a foot long 'C' Spanner cut out of 1/4" plate that is designed to tighten my Norton Commando Exhaust collars I'll try that and see how it fits.

There are several things in this rebuild that could go on the Disasters Thread, I'll post them all when I'm finished in about a months time hopefully.

Cheers

Degsy

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 14.09. 2021 09:23 »
I bought a special peg tool for my nut that I can use with a socket and bar or my rattle gun.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
Re: Clutch cover with hole worn through it - New Question?
« Reply #18 on: 20.09. 2021 17:53 »
Hi All

I started putting the clutch back together and noticed when I replaced the old rollers, the new clutch rollers I bought were sitting proud of the clutch chainwheel and centre (see photo).

I had checked the width (not the length) of the old and new rollers for wear and the diameters were the same but only when I put the new rollers in place did I notice the new ones were longer.

I am not sure the old rollers are shorter due to wear as they still seem to have a radius on the ends and you would expect that to be gone if the ends have material worn off.  Also surely the new rollers should not sit above the level of the clutch case.

Any ideas about what is wrong here?

The part number for rollers seems to be correct. This is an A7 Plunger with a 1951 engine, in fact it is the engines 70th Birthday today!!! according to the date stamped on the engine case

Cheers

Degsy

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #19 on: 20.09. 2021 18:39 »
There are some dodgy roller lengths out there. I would say labels on bags are for guidance only ie may be accurate, may not. I not able to advise on plunger clutch.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 20.09. 2021 19:36 »
 Degsy. Simple answer is that these are pattern parts, supplied to the nearest  approximation does it really matter size. As you can tell from the design, the clutch basket sorta floats against the thrust washer and any length of roller exceeding the shoulder on the clutch centre will result in seizure. Too short is fine. Too long, it won't work.

Jimbo's right, and regrettably these infernal items will be firmly embedded in the aftermarket new replacement parts supply chain. If the originals look OK, use them. Plunger clutches always have an element of rock, the lateral support for the chainwheel is poor so don't expect perfection. NOS rollers if you can find them are the best, old used originals preferable to don't work modern pattern ones. If you bought from an established reputable source, request a refund as they are not fit for purpose and the seller should be made aware of the possible damage to his reputation. They may be selling these items in good faith, unaware that they don't fit because the majority of punters don't complain. So the old "No one else has a problem" ain't strictly true. The  originals are a size of imperial rollers with a good chance being available from your local or internet bearing suppliers.  They're nothing special.

Swarfy.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 20.09. 2021 23:38 »
Degsy, from memory I think that the clutch rollers should be 1/4" x 1/4".
A common size available is 1/4" x 17/64" and these get supplied instead of the correct items.

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 21.09. 2021 09:20 »
Hi guys

I bought the rollers from an ebay supplier not one I had used before or since and certainly not a recognised supplier, but cheap at £4 so I bought them before I stripped down the clutch, I guess you get what you pay for, it just seems stupid to go to the trouble of making the rollers and to get them so wrong.

In fact now that I have measured the old rollers they are not worn and I will just put them back in.

One thing that puzzles me, when you put the 18 rollers back into the bearing there is a gap as if there should be 19 rollers but it is definitely not big enough for another roller.  Why the gap?

Cheers

Degsy

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 21.09. 2021 09:56 »
 Those little fellas like a bit of room between themselves, adjacent roller surfaces are moving in opposite directions, so touching means wear. Steering head races are the same, you think there is room for just one extra ball.... but of course there isn't.

Swarfy.

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 21.09. 2021 11:28 »
Thanks Swarfy, I get it now

Degsy

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 25.09. 2021 00:12 »
This is the clutch cover on my 1950 Star Twin unit.
It came fitted so I have no reason to believe that it is not standard.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #26 on: 25.09. 2021 00:19 »
Those covers have always baffled me, I have seen quite a few bikes with the raised centre and quite a few that are smooth. It would seem that the raised centre ones are for a clutch with a centre spring but I have never come across or seen any indication that the A7/A10 range ever had a clutch like that. Have to put that one in the "who knows" department.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #27 on: 25.09. 2021 04:26 »
i have been to the pub *beer* *countdown*    that is a loud speaker, well it is through my eyes *beer*