Author Topic: Lathe for restoration  (Read 885 times)

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
Re: Lathe for restoration
« Reply #15 on: 11.09. 2021 11:18 »

I used the cut off tool holder yesterday with a standard HSS cut off blade and that worked fine so I will probably junk the 12mm carbide tool holder (1of the 7 12mm tool holders in the set).

It took me an hour to make each nut so I ordered up a bunch of CEI taps and dies from Tracy tools UK, so I don’t have to machine a tiny internal thread like that again!

Well done KGF, but don't junk that tool it will come in handy one day...I try not to ever throw away bits of carbide, tool steel, old tool holders etc you will be looking for something to modify into a special purpose tool one day and think "if only I'd hung on to that old thing dammit"!

Internal threading is tricky especially so small and fine so well done but yes much easier with a tap.
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 11.09. 2021 12:25 »

I used the cut off tool holder yesterday with a standard HSS cut off blade and that worked fine so I will probably junk the 12mm carbide tool holder (1of the 7 12mm tool holders in the set).

It took me an hour to make each nut so I ordered up a bunch of CEI taps and dies from Tracy tools UK, so I don’t have to machine a tiny internal thread like that again!

Well done KGF, but don't junk that tool it will come in handy one day...I try not to ever throw away bits of carbide, tool steel, old tool holders etc you will be looking for something to modify into a special purpose tool one day and think "if only I'd hung on to that old thing dammit"!

Internal threading is tricky especially so small and fine so well done but yes much easier with a tap.

You’re right, I won’t dispose of it, I just won’t bother to buy new carbide tips for it, I was very surprised to make that small a thread, but it took a fair bit of fettling to get the nuts onto the basket....

The Tracy taps aren’t here yet but it will be a while before I feel like taking the primary apart again anyway.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 11.09. 2021 15:36 »
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash