Author Topic: india parts  (Read 2315 times)

Offline gary

• Moving Up
india parts
« on: 13.10. 2021 09:20 »
hi. has anyone had any experience with any of the guys in india reproducing motorcycle parts? parts look nice but have been a little leary on purchasing. thanks
Pennsylvania

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: india parts
« Reply #1 on: 13.10. 2021 11:41 »
G'day Gary.
It can be a bit of a lottery. Some good, some bad, some bl@@dy awful.
Similar to China, there may be several factories producing the same part. Some further down the food chain than others.
Years ago I bought a front guard for my plunger. It was that rough (grinder marks) it took 2 cans of spray filler before primer and paint.
Other parts fitted straight on.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 13.10. 2021 12:00 »
Likewise approx 5 yrs ago I bought a speedo ,first one was kph instead of mph ,emailed seller over in India and 2 days later the correct one turned up ,still working well ,I hope not ridden this year. For £29.!!!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.10. 2021 12:07 »
Likewise approx 5 yrs ago I bought a speedo ,first one was kph instead of mph ,emailed seller over in India and 2 days later the correct one turned up ,still working well ,I hope not ridden this year. For £29.!!!
Did they pay your postage to send the other one back?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 13.10. 2021 12:54 »
Afternoon Neil, still got it I think kicking around our old office obviously stood 'em at pennies , I was well chuffed.
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.10. 2021 13:25 »
Bob,

What they planned for with fast and free corrective service was a goodwill boost. To be fair to them, you could share their name. Each member can decide for themselves if they choose to buy from this vendor, but you will have returned the goodwill.

Richard L.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 13.10. 2021 14:39 »
Gary

I’ve had two experiences with buying BSA tinware from India both being positive.
A gas tank and a front fender.
Both needed a bit of fettling but no major drama
It was quite some time ago so I don’t remember the vendor

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline gary

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 13.10. 2021 20:01 »
thanks . i did run across another thread on here somewhere couple guys mentioned a person that goes by pummy. said his parts were half descent. thanks again
Pennsylvania

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 13.10. 2021 21:15 »
Do I need to state the obvious that there are probably 1000’s of suppliers of bike parts (and probably manufacturers) in India.....so you need a specific recommendation of a supplier, and even then I think you may find the quality variable. Online stores usually will have feedback/reviews you can check.

“Made in China” no longer carries the stigma it used to.....made in Japan (aka “nippon” in older times) certainly doesn’t, India (in my opinion) is still a work in progress, but for classic bike parts it will always be a niche industry.

Just my 2 cents worth
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 19.10. 2021 13:48 »
A very good point Richard, only wish I could remember the name of the company ,i must have an invoice  so will have a look who knows,
United Kingdom

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2021 03:52 »
Ebay & Amazon are the perfect platform for shysters & snake oil salesmen .
You have no idea who you are dealing with and even less of an idea where they cource heir parts from.
With tinwear it is all bespoke.
You send them your money and whoever banks the cash puts an order on one of the "tinsmiths" to whip them up a tank for you.
Most are paid a starvation rate for this work so these are made at home. after work often from some scrap stee; supplied by the vendor
In many cases all the tinsmith has to work from is  photo of what it is supposed to look like.
The idea that there are small factories is total rubbish, most are made from home out the front in the street in the dirt.

Endless stories of girder forks falling apart the first time they are used.
I for one bough a rear stand for the M20 from a local vendor which was made ( and is use that word very loosely ) in India
First strange thing is the bolts were Unified pipe thread , not CEI.
I put it on at the BSA international Halls Creek
So it did the first run ( 3 lifts onto the stand ) OK
It did the second , long run ( 9 lifts onto the stand ) OK
It did the third run ( 3 lifts onto the stand ) OK
On the 4th it fell apart & I meaan literally broke into 6 pieses as the bike was being lifted onto the stand for the first time.
So I think that would be about 400km all up
These stands are still being sold and people are still having them fall apart so their bikes fall over .
Only problem was I had it for year before fitting and the vendor had closed down , possibly to avaoid being sued.
So if you buy any part from India , make sure it is unpainted because that would have allowed me to see the rear stand ends were made from 4 pieces of steel tacked with a tig then filled with bronze which did not take then puttied ofe, smoothed down & painted so it looked like the ends were either forged or cast

I bougn some gearbox bushes only to find they had been cast into a smnd mould using the original finished machined bush as the pattern
Needless to say they got crushed & tossed strait into the copper scrap bin.

There have been several batches of counter shaft sprockets where the splines are cut wrong so they won't fit
And to top it off I have 4 rear QD brak e drums where the drum is not concentric to the mounting bolts or the drive pins & mounting bolts are not spaced equidistant or the bolt holes are counter shunk in place of being counter bored.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #11 on: 28.11. 2021 10:57 »
trevor my brother has been looking at some of these india made castings on the internet and the crap and methods they use to make a casting. he says no wonder most of it turns out only fit for the scrap bin, but the crap they make gets the next meal on the plate for them i suppose.

Offline Richard Hinton

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 13.07. 2022 08:45 »
India parts, i have ordered oil tank and rear mudguard on line from India never again, you wait for ever and the quality is rubbish, think the mudguard was made by a guy with a hammer and grinder sitting in the street. To send bits back will cost money and more time.

So my advice is steer clear.
1960 GF

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 13.07. 2022 09:55 »
It's the luck of the draw ... bought  front & rear mudguards for my SA GF from India. They're practically indistinguishable from original, well made and fit perfectly. Remember, stuff from BSA wasn't always up to standard .....
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 13.07. 2022 10:03 »
If I were to buy expensive parts for my bike, I'd be looking for a UK retailer to get the statutory consumer protection, or at least to make returns easier. Obviously the retailer would add their own charges but I'd be happier anyway.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash