Author Topic: Lacing an a10 plunger rear wheel advice.  (Read 909 times)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Lacing an a10 plunger rear wheel advice.
« Reply #15 on: 01.12. 2021 18:54 »
The angle of the spoke dimple holes to vary according to the hub being used.  With a half-width hub (ie a very small spoke flange) the dimple holes will be pointing out almost perpendicular to the rim, whereas on the brake side the spoke flange is much larger and the dimple holes will be angled. F & R rims are the same other than the angle of the spoke dimples. You'll probably find that for a 7" or 8" hub the rims would be near enough the same and good enough for a push-around.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 01.12. 2021 19:12 »
G'day Swarfy.
You'll need to do a bit of detective stuff. If you know for sure what hub you have I'd find as many photos as I could of that complete wheel and blow them up to compare. Full width hubs will have rim nipples at the same angle just a tiny bit different for inner and outer. Single sided hub will have rim nipples at different angles left or right.
30 years ago I drilled the Akront rims on my racer myself  *bash*. The angle wasn't quite right so all the spokes (8g 4mm) are bent. But in saying that I haven't had to touch them in all that time (9 years of racing and now on the road).
If it's just to push around I'd buy the correct spokes for your hub and throw'em in.
Cheers
Rex got in first
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 02.12. 2021 08:47 »
 Thanks Fellas. I've printed out the links above kindly posted by Gearbox, so yes, time to try old spokes and nipples in the rim and get some handle on the angles. Not so simple as I thought, but not  that hard either. As a pusher I'm not too worried about a bow here and there and it will be a good to have a go at wheel building......more a thoughtful pastime rather than a greasy one. Cleaned up the old rim, true to form no identifying marks so it's trial and error for now.

Cheers.

Swarfy.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 02.12. 2021 17:19 »
Very therapeutic, is wheel building. Don't know that I'd find it that much fun in an unheated workshop in December though... *eek*