Author Topic: Small vintage lathes  (Read 10943 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Small vintage lathes
« Reply #75 on: 21.12. 2021 06:36 »
That's no way to talk about a lathe! Regarding the hand tool, I could get my whatchamacallit whacked for debating Trev, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of bushing puller/driver. Saw similar to it while trying to solve the riddle.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 21.12. 2021 09:12 »
Looks like a home made tap wrench, G.B.
It seems to be a set. There are two threaded parts and several cylindrical items with offset holes. Each of those has a fractional inch size stamped on them. The tap wrench type tool must engage with the end of the threaded parts. I'll get some better pictures later.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #77 on: 21.12. 2021 11:16 »
Yes, I saw two different square-drive ends on the threaded rods to fit the two square drive holes in the handle.

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #78 on: 26.12. 2021 19:23 »
Believe it or not, I'm still waiting for my replacement alignment bar to arrive. What a tortured story that has been. First I order the wrong one, then the right one got sent to someone in Los Angeles instead of to me here in Chicagoland. Now, I hope to see the correct one today. I have to admit to leaning toward the "aggressive" in my passive/aggressive complaints to the representatives in India. 

In the waiting time, I decided to pull the spindle out to check condition and found it quite acceptable, maybe, even, "very good" for a 1941 machine. Also, had time to do some painting, which will happen in phases.  I can post some pictures later. I joined the Facebook South Bend Lathe Group to get specific help when I need it. That has proved useful. One thing about the Myford is that so many of our forum members own them that the resources right here are probably abundant.  Ya' know, I bought the lathe to help with A7/A10 projects, I'd like to get back to those, but the lathe is a project in itself, with its own sort of reward.

Richard L.

Gents, gents, gents,

I wasn't really sure where to drop the continuation of my lathe story. A review of this topic has reminded me that it was November 19th when I first decided to stop trying to turn my brake drum until I could get my lathe in alignment (to the level of my skills, tools and patience).  Getting the alignment bar is a story unto itself that is tedious, but the lowlights are: I ordered the wrong bar (one #1 gone); seller shipped new bar to wrong address (week #2 gone); seller doesn't admit error for six days (week #3 gone); correct bar ordered and arrives in 7 days (week #4 gone). One day after receiving the correct bar I had the lathe aligned good enough for the likes of me. I've thrown in a picture of the two bars for laughs. Did a lot of cleanup and fiddling in the waiting time that, I hope, will pay off in better parts and lathe longevity.

Anyway, in the pictures, you will see the result of skimming the '57 Ariel rear hub. It seems smooth enough to me, as I wouldn't expect a super-smooth drum surface is necessary or, maybe, even, possible in the cast iron. It seems smoother to me than what it looks like when zooming in on the photo and exaggerating the lines in the finish. Please chime in and let me know if you think I need to try for smoother. In other pictures you can see the gauging hole I drilled to estimate the thickness of the iron by using a toothpick. It appears the remaining thickness of the iron drum lining (before I just skimmed off about 4 thou) was about 0.140". Does anyone know how this compares to the as-manufactured thickness?

Finally, I threw in a picture showing what painting I've done using an oil-based enamel color-matched to the color when I bought it. This way,  I can take years to finish it if I want without it being two vastly different colors. If you're curious, you can see the before and after by scrolling up through earlier posts in the topic.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #79 on: 26.12. 2021 22:33 »
That all looks good to me Richard. Did you get special paint?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 26.12. 2021 22:45 »
Hi Richard
The finish looks fine, give it a polish it with some fine emery

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #81 on: 26.12. 2021 22:53 »
That all looks good to me Richard. Did you get special paint?
Paint was an electronic color match resulting in the formula shown on the can. I wasn't being too picky for a perfect match, but, if you compare with the unpainted gearbox in the photo, I think it's quite close. No idea (or care) about originality, just didn't want new and old to clash.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #82 on: 27.12. 2021 10:25 »
Paint was an electronic color match resulting in the formula shown on the can.
I wondered if the paint needs to be heat proof to resist damage from hot swarf.

Did you use an undercoat/primer?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 27.12. 2021 12:57 »
Paint was an electronic color match resulting in the formula shown on the can.
I wondered if the paint needs to be heat proof to resist damage from hot swarf.

Did you use an undercoat/primer?

I used a couple of different brands of rust preventative, non-sanding, red oxide color, auto-body type, rattle-can primers. Not on top of eachother, just using the cans until they ran out. I have so many left over cans of spray paint around that they either go bad on the shelf after years of sitting, or the correct nozzles get lost or pilfered (by me) for another can.

Not too worried about  hot flying chips/swarf. Lathes get scars and get dirty, I AM looking foward to some long, hot, curly chips streaming off some critical workpiece that I can't do without and saves me a lot of money to make myself. Any resulting scars (on me or the lathe) might be a symbol of success.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #84 on: 30.12. 2021 17:53 »
I had a chance to do some work on my ML4 lathe today. I intend to clean, inspect and paint the old girl. Today I've stripped almost everything from the main frame. I managed to drop the cross slide packing piece, (the small pad that takes slack out of the slide) into my large box of odds-on-sods that lives under the bench. 😕 A job for another day will be turning everything out of the box to find  the blighter.

The lathe came with a 3" three jaw chuck. In the box of bits that came with the lathe there is a four jaw 3" chuck.

The spindle has no discernable up/down movement;  just a little end float that I was able to remove by adjusting the lockable collar on the other end.

The bed appears to be in pretty good condition. The saddle predictably got tighter at the far end of the bed.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #85 on: 30.12. 2021 18:10 »
GB you dropped your gib strip , very important bit of kit........... i am going stir crazy and not getting much done with anything at the present time SO IT IS THE PUB for me tomorrow untill 11 thirty , then home before people who have never been in the pub and i have never seen before in my life want to shake hands or kiss me. enough said *pull hair out* *beer*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #86 on: 30.12. 2021 20:39 »
Gib strip, right, thanks. 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #87 on: 30.12. 2021 20:42 »
I see that Berger ID'd the gib strip while I was typing, nevertheless...

GB,

Good to hear you are on your way. I suppose you mean it was the "gib" that dropped in the box. That's a word I've known for all of 5 weeks. Think of all the other great stuff you will find when you empty that box.

Excellent that you have both a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck. I can't say it was a fast learning curve to get where I could adjust the 4-jaw within my best at about 0.0015" eccentric. 

The spindle end-play adjustment sounds just like the South Bend. I forget if I mentioned that I took my spindle out just to see what I had in terms of wear and was quite pleased.  (For the uninitiated, a "spindle," in this case, is part of a lathe. Not a body part.) From what I can see online, it appears the Myford spindle is lubricated through oil hole cups above the bearings. The South Bend uses wicks to bring up oil from a reservoir that is filled via cups on the front and are below the level of the bearing. Taking out the spindle also let me see that the wicks were OK, but the Myford's positive oiling from above has some attraction.

In a day or so, I'm going to show the refinishing job I was able to do on my Ariel-type rear hub, thanks to spinning it on the lathe. Not saying that to annoy you. I do understand that the fantastic ML4 won't spin a 9" diameter hub.

Have a great New Year's Eve.

Richard L.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #88 on: 30.12. 2021 21:13 »
How are you holding the hub in the chuck?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #89 on: 30.12. 2021 21:34 »
Like this.