Author Topic: Rigid A10  (Read 5483 times)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Rigid A10
« on: 19.09. 2009 08:35 »
Some of you would have seen the latest bit of junk, er, I mean wonderful restoration project, I have recently aquired. Originally I bought it for spares but it turns out the engine and frame left the factory together and it was sold new here in South Aust, so, and I will probably regret this, I have decided to see if I can find the rest of it and restore it.

I already have some of the missing parts, front wheel/gearbox/front guard/tail piece of rear guard/carby/maggy and some of the small bits. I think the hardest thing to find will probably be the rear wheel which brings me to the reason for this post. Would anyone have one of these wheels that they could take a couple of good photos of and post for me please. I have had a look at the parts book but its hard to get a good idea of just what it looks like. I am off to a swap in two weeks time and I would hate to walk past one and not recognise it.

Richard (orabanda) I would love a photo of each side of your rigid if you have a couple, pretty pretty please !!!!!

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: Rigid A10
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2009 10:21 »
looks like you've got a long way to go on it
good luck happy hunting thats part of the fun
looking for the missing parts and when you find them
its a good feeling  *smile* 

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.09. 2009 11:49 »
Hi Brian,
Thought you might like to see my rigid rear end!

Sorry the pics are a bit cramped; I need more room!

Taking half a dozen bikes on a run to Coolgardie tomorrow, so will be able to get some better pics for you then after shifting bikes out, if you need more info.

Regards,
Richard

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.09. 2009 12:03 »
Thats a good start thanks Richard. By what I can see the rear wheel is the same as a plunger one except a different backing plate and different axle set up.

Have a good day tomorrow.

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
« Reply #4 on: 19.09. 2009 13:54 »
Hi Brian, if you look in the Draganfly spares catalogue (List B3) there is the parts list of the splined front and rear wheel for rigid A7 47 and 48. It should be the same for rigid A10 rear wheel. Look in the list above the words.
4- SPLINED HUB INTERCHANGEABLE WITH REAR ? 1947-48 A GROUP
Hope that helps. cheers Terry
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.09. 2009 23:51 »
Brian,
         I think you will find that the wheel and drum are the same as the 1954 - 55 swinging arm models. The brake drum is obviously different.
Not sure about the axle and spacers.
Trev.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Rigid A10 RR
« Reply #6 on: 20.09. 2009 06:28 »
Not quite on the same tangent, I've started building an A10 road rocket race special, currently an incomplete pile of bits and bobs, but will be based on the daytona shooting star rigid's circa 54/55. As a newbie I can't upload any photos yet but the frame will be a replica BB32R, rear wheel alloy BSA/Ariel type, with double sided 8" drums up front. It'll be bringing an A10 into the classic race scene, a model not currently seen in NZ racing. Hoping to have it together for February 2010 racing.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.09. 2009 06:40 »
Thanks guys.

Terry, I am fairly sure the early interchangeable type wheel is different to the one I am after. Different part numbers and I had a look at one in a 48' A7 today and although a similar design the dimensions are diferent. The early one even though they are a crinkle hub one side of the hub is larger than the other.

Trev, I think you are right. By what I can see the actual hub and brake drum are the same for the plunger models and the early s/arm. Its the axles and brake backing plates that vary. I have a spare complete wheel for a plunger model so if I can find a backing plate I should be right. I can probably make one if I can get a sample. The axle isnt a problem as I can make all of that no problems. By what I can see in the photos Richard sent the axle pushes through with a nut on the left side.

Trying to complete this bike may turn into a major headache but I will give it a go and see what turns up.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 20.09. 2009 13:12 »
Brian,

The word "complete" doesn't quite capture it. "Resurrect", maybe.

Rocket Racer,

Your's will be quite unusual and I believe I can speak for the group in saying we look forward to the pictures. Perhaps our member Rico is watching and will get different feelings for his own almalgamated (not meaning "Amal") bike from different years and including Ariel hubs.

Richard L.

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
« Reply #9 on: 20.09. 2009 14:07 »
Brian is the backing plate the same as early A7 if it is I may have a spare.
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.09. 2009 23:15 »
Brian,
        The hub and brake drum are not the same as the plunger models.
The plunger hub has an internal thread on the off side for a threaded bearing retainer and the section is longer which requires the cover plate to be domed.
The rigid / swinging arm hub does not have the thread and has the flat cover.
However, if you machine the threaded portion from the hub, you then have a rigid hub.
I am pretty sure the rigid and swinging arm brake drum are the same part, this drum having a smaller bearing than the plunger.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 20.09. 2009 23:27 »
Terry, the parts book shows the same part number for the backing plate so I might take you up on that offer, thanks. I will send you a e-mail.

Trev, the pictures Richard posted show the flat bearing cover plate as you say so if the only difference is the threaded section that will be no problem. I have a complete plunger wheel so if I remove the threaded side off the hub and with the backing plate Terry has I should be able to make a rear wheel.

Thanks, guys.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 20.09. 2009 23:33 »
Brian,
        the rigid axle is different to the plunger, if I can dig out my rigid rear wheel I will check out what is what.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 20.09. 2009 23:44 »
Some basic measurements would be a help Trev, I can make the axle and nuts, spacers etc.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 21.09. 2009 06:02 »
Hey Brian,
How good's that, getting matching No's, makes it definatley worth restoring,
probably about the same amount of gear I started out with on my Rocket,
after I unbolted all the too far gone stuff, just don't make a tally of the
final amount it costs to restore, I always just say..."alot"  if anybody asks.
Also, will be going to Gatton swap later in the year, I can keep my eyes
peeled if you need anything, just drop me a line.

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project