« on: 19.09. 2009 21:38 »
hi everyone whats the fastest youve rode your BSA
before i had mine rebuilt i got up to 80 miles an hour

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: speed
« Reply #1 on: 19.09. 2009 23:43 »
I had mine up to 100 mph indicated on the speedo when I was young and stupid. What was scary was the Vauxhall Cresta that passed me!
Now I am old and stupid I usually don't go over 70 mph with occasional bursts up to about 80 mph.
Trev.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.09. 2009 08:50 »
I have taken my spitfire scrambler (scambler gearbox but different engine gearing) to around 80mph with plenty of throttle left but chickened out going any faster as I saw a car miles in the distance pulling out in front of me and I wondered whether I could stop in time.  *eek*
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20.09. 2009 13:40 »
My Flash has done the ton on a number of occasions.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 20.09. 2009 14:22 »
I've only done 65 - 70 mph on both A10s with loads of throttle left. Just don't want to risk breaking them.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.09. 2009 17:44 »
The ton - once, about fifty odd years ago, took a gradient and what seemed forever to get there.
What suprised me was how fast it went in third and looking back how niave I was in straightening out the resulting bent pushrod in the farm vice, popping it back in and re-assembled without a thought as to why it bent or if any other damage had been caused.
What a fantastic and wasted thing youth is ?

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #6 on: 21.09. 2009 18:43 »
Similar to Bill,
40 odd years ago I would attempt to go flat out to see around 95 on the clock. Surprised to see my mate and his girlfriend sail by in their MGB. Anything over 80mph resulted in having to adjust the rear chain the following week and re set the tappets.
I can recall another mate buying what was then (1970 ish) a Suzuki T10 250 twin two stroke 4 speed. It had more acceleration and top end than the 500 A7SS. When another mate turned up on a brand new Suzuki super six (uprated T10) that was the start of the slippery slope. Mind you at the parts counter in Vale Onslows (Stratford Road Birmingham) you could get virtually anything for BSA / Triumph / Norton so when said mate asked for some part for his Suzuki I can still hear the guy behind the counter saying, "sorry mate we dont keep japanese scrap".............Whatever happened to the British Motorcycle Industry ?   See the book by the same name..by Bert Hopwood, Haynes Publishing  ISBN 978 1 85960 427 4

Regards,

Des

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.09. 2009 19:01 »
Dave (Rocket Man),

I'm getting a kick out of the two questions you've initiated, loosely: Fastest ride?; Worst occurance? It seems if you attempt the first to match our friends here you could end up with the second.

As for myself, on the current build, about 53 mph, because I am giving it a long running in. I'm not answering the "Worst occurance" here because it is in the wrong topic and involves surgery.

Richard L.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 21.09. 2009 20:16 »
94. Two-up and with a dodgey mag. It was pinking like crazy.
Can't get more than 85 out of it these days, but thats with different gearing, riding position, pistons and carburettor. Maybe I should sort it, but maybe its for the best.
Cheers,
Iain

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 21.09. 2009 21:37 »
The first A10 I ever had was stolen. The guy was pulled by the police after a chase.
They said - we're talking 1973 or so - that it had been clocked at 103mph on the old Cambridge to Huntingdon road in the UK (A14 nowadays probably? - might have been then too). That had clip-ons etc and was a total eyesore, but that particular week it had nice cams and lumpy pistons, despite the iron head. 13 DTX where are you now? In which landfill, should I say?
Thing was, it did precisely 5 clattery miles after my getting it back - before a big end cap parted company with the rest of the rod and the motor was expensively wrecked.
Haven't ever tried anything like that with my current Flash - but it did run for 2 hours at a steady 75mph with me and one of my daughters on it a month or two back when things had conspired against us and we were running late for a good lunch. That seemed to be enough, but it didn't complain, didn't start doing the old heavy breathing routine, become incontinent, or any other bad thing. In fact, it just ran like a clock. Wonderful thing for its age, and in rather better shape than its rider - although we're both rough round the edges. If I wound it on, reckon it would run up to the mid-90s, but no intention of trying any time soon. 55-65mph is the comfort zone with its cooking engine I reckon. Haven't laid a spanner on it bar 5 oil changes and occasional rear chain adjustment in the last 5000 miles, which is more than I can say for one or two 4- and 2-wheeled moderns of my acquaintance. And my tatty 'B' is just as brilliant, just slower. Small Heath gets my vote if there is one . . . tremendous things. As one who spends a lot of time with his ample hind quarters slung over AMC twins and one or two other things as well, there's never any doubt which make to take when you know you have to get there. And back.
Bill

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 22.09. 2009 13:29 »
I regularly got speeds in the 110 to 120 mph range on my A 10 when I was also "young & stupid".
I would imagine that the chronometric was fairly accurate as I have several very expensive speed verifictions courtsy of "Er magistys finest" usually followed by a long chat with the local Magistrate or if I was lucky then I got the size 9's swiftly embedded into a part of the anatomy that made riding at any speed most uncomfortable for  week or two, arh the good old days, how I survived them God only knows
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 22.09. 2009 14:20 »
My FSIE would do 85mph on a good day.........
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 22.09. 2009 14:55 »
I regularly got speeds in the 110 to 120 mph range on my A 10

That's because imperial miles are shorter than US miles, right? *smile*
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #13 on: 22.09. 2009 21:22 »
I regularly got speeds in the 110 to 120 mph range on my A 10

The boys in blue must have had a great time pulling over a BSA doing 120mph in their 850 mini panda cars..  ;)
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #14 on: 24.09. 2009 11:59 »
If you google "Bumborah Point Road" you will see that there was no need to go chasing any body.
In those days the Port Botany had not been built.
All that was there was a breakwater, ( built initially to protect the first runway extension) just wide enough to support a 4 lane wide tar over concrete road, 1/2 of which was renamed "Prince of Wales Drive" a few years back. This led onto "Foreshore road" another wonderfull piece of tar, 2 miles long & unused after dark except by car & bike hooligans, 6 lanes wide.

The local plod just had to stand at the ends and unless your bike had water wings you were nabbed.
They also had Triumph Saints , Honda 4's, V8 Chargers ( local version of the Dodge Dart), full race kit Cooper S's & XU1 Toranas if they felt like a little sport & we were feeling lucky or brave.

And no it was not your cooking version A 10, running 11:1 with Total 101 octane + 10% nitro benzene in the tank, and yes I did eventually blow the motor, but I was a lot of fun while it lasted.
Bike Beesa
Trevor