Author Topic: What BSA do I have???  (Read 664 times)

Offline mario medeiros

• Moving Up
What BSA do I have???
« on: 28.01. 2022 23:09 »
I’m working on what I call bits and pieces of what I think is a A10, I can’t seem to follow the vin look up so if someone could tell me please vin# EA7-9147 and the motor has numbers on it I can’t really read. It has alum head and the carb manifold is part of the head . Any other things to look at to tell me what motor I have?

Thank you

Online fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
Re: What BSA do I have???
« Reply #1 on: 29.01. 2022 00:39 »
Yes, A7/A10 swing arm frame as used on both for 1956 and 57 I believe. Engine should have CA10-xxxx if it is matching year and serial no will be the telling point on this. Maybe post a picture of the left hand side of the crankcase, numbers will be just below the spigot and you will have other numbers on both sides of crank cases to prove matching pair.
At least what I show from my info.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline mario medeiros

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 29.01. 2022 03:05 »
I’ll send a pic of the numbers on the case but again hard to read it’s a bit of a mess not sure why. With the frame number does it tell you the model name? And besides the motor number any other way to tell year , size and model name of the motor ? Thanks

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2022 08:15 »
As previously stated prefix EA7 belongs to 1956 / 57 so, if it unmolested, will also have Ariel full width alloy hubs. If the alloy head is original to the bike this suggests it is a road rocket so it may also have a tachometer driven by a bevel gear on the outside of the timing cover. It may also have a TT carburettor which will have a separate float bowl. A few photos would help. The BSA Owners club can identify the model by the frame numbers as it will be necessary to consult the factory despatch records. The bike is 65 years old so, unless you are very lucky, it will have had a number of changes made by previous owners.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2022 10:52 »
With that frame number it could any one of 4 diffrent models A7 A7SS, A10 swingarm model. A10 Road Rocket. With an alloy head it could be either an A7SS Shooting Star or an A10 Road Rocket but this is nor certain all depends on what previous owners have done. The only way to be sure of what you have is to apply for a dating certifcate from the BSA owners club. This will tell you  the  year and model also if the engine you have came with that frame and the date of dispatch and to which dealer it was dispatched to. All info can found on the BSA Owners website.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 29.01. 2022 19:42 »
Hi Mario

Not sure if the attached file helps in your quest.

Photos will help for guidance from the forum

What part of Canada are you located ?

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline mario medeiros

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2022 23:17 »
Hi Scotty
I’m in Orangeville Ontario I did try to post some pics but it says they are too large ( will get my kids to correct it for me as I suck on anything like that LOL) the bike is basically bought as a bobber so I guess it has to do with the cosmetic that tells what model it is which I guess it doesn’t matter much. Would like to know what motor I have it is aluminum head, tach is off the gearbox,it’s a single carb and the manifold is part of the head. Thanks

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.01. 2022 08:19 »
 All the major castings share common fixings, so the motor could be original, modified or a mix'n match of unrelated parts. The engine number denotes type and a guide to model year. Frame and engine numbers do not match.

Crankcase castings for A7 500cc motors and A10 650cc are the same, just the engine number prefix differs, so unlimited scope for what's inside.

Barrel/Jug can be distinguished by the number of fins. A7 has 7, A10 its 8.

Along with the barrel, it's inside where the parts are specific for the capacity. Cranks, rods, pistons and of course the head casting and valves. The rest of the bits, such as oilpump, drive train, timing gears are all the same.

Swarfy.

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 02.02. 2022 18:39 »
Hi Scotty
I’m in Orangeville Ontario I did try to post some pics but it says they are too large ( will get my kids to correct it for me as I suck on anything like that LOL) the bike is basically bought as a bobber so I guess it has to do with the cosmetic that tells what model it is which I guess it doesn’t matter much. Would like to know what motor I have it is aluminum head, tach is off the gearbox,it’s a single carb and the manifold is part of the head. Thanks
I am a couple hours west of you lake huron { Kincardine ]