Author Topic: Short ar*se question, reach the ground  (Read 956 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Short ar*se question, reach the ground
« on: 01.03. 2022 11:24 »
When stationary my feet barely reach the ground (I'm on "tip toes") could I safely fit shorter rear shock absorbers to lower the height? I have two problems. 1) starting. I have to seek out a kerb in order to get a good kick, and 2) as previously stated reach the ground with my feet. does anyone else have this problem? bike is an A10 Rep. Wheels are 19", so would shorter rear shocks cause problems?

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Short ar*se question, reach the ground
« Reply #1 on: 01.03. 2022 13:11 »
I hope you are not offended 😁
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 01.03. 2022 13:49 »
Not good for kick start I would imagine   *smile*, not offended in the slightest

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2022 14:03 »
I'm in a similar position. Many years ago (purists look away now) i took a hacksaw to the bracket at the front where the seat fits near the tank and removed it. It's still in my toolbox for the next owner to re fit! I then splayed the seat edges to slip down over the frame at the front. This gained at least a couple of inches. The nose of the seat wedges nicely against the tank. Not for the purists but suits me very well, and looks better in my opinion. Will be interested to see what the experts recommend shock wise, always keen to get it lower, Have seen 18" rims but imagine it quite a hoist to get on the centrestand. 
 *work* *bash* *whistle*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 01.03. 2022 15:02 »
Trade the bike in for a plunger or rigid model. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 02.03. 2022 01:08 »
Same here,
I am 161cm tall short or 5'4". I managed my old 1957 S/A A7 fairly well when I was 18 including being able to kickstart it off the centrestand, but now that I am 3 score and 10, I am not as flexible. It does take the enjoyment out of town riding. Particularly when stopping on a road which slopes to the left. Always looking ahead for a spot to put my foot. Seat height is about 800. Once it starts to fall to the left it is a battle to stop it going horizontal. It also limits when I ride - I am tending to not want to go out unless conditions are good.
I think my seat is pre-1958, and I suspect that the later seat is a bit narrower at front, allowing feet to get down a bit further.
I don't want to change the basic geometry of the suspension. Jim's idea of hacking at the seat front is appealing >:D.
Country riding makes it all worthwhile though - Geez it is nice to ride.
I have been looking closely at the new RE Meteor, with 730mm seat height and electric boot >:D. Great reviews and cheap.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 02.03. 2022 08:13 »
I have every sympathy with folk who are in the wrong slot on the height spectrum for comfortable riding.

Spare a thought too for those of us at the opposite end, the 2 metre 110+kg crew - crunched and cramped, barely able to move after a few hours in the saddle, legs too long and feet too big for easy action on the levers, footrests that won't go low enough, or if they will they hit the road on every slight bend, the profile of a lead brick into the wind   . . . Forget also pre-war bikes owing to saddle heights, forget indeed some modern machines with low seats and also nasty rising sections where seat meets tank, especially designed to create discomfort for anyone with a prostate. Yes, we biggies can start anything on or off the stand, and can stay upright sideways-on on a 1 in 4 slope, but it's only partial compensation I promise! And that's without the problem of finding clothing and boots big enough, particularly in these days of 'designer everything' made by small people in Italian studios. My maxi-multi-XL Belstaff only fits my daughter, who's 3 inches shorter than me and a lot lighter - so I gave it to her.

About 5' 10" and 80-odd kilos would be good - in my dreams.  But luckily the love of the thing conquers all.
Bill

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.03. 2022 10:51 »
I must be about 5' 4". I love the height of my Plungie. 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.03. 2022 11:08 »
Consider gettting the dual seat upholstered with a thinner foam?

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 02.03. 2022 12:07 »
Bill, Good to read that you tall blokes have problems almost as big. Never thought of that. I'd better look for a Plungie.
Julian, I had a 1993 BMW R80 until a couple of years ago. I purchased a new seat with front half with foam reduced about 25mm. I found it made no difference, and I realised that the real problem was the width of the seat at the front which prevented me from pointing the legs straight down. The foam ridge did give better back support though.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #10 on: 02.03. 2022 13:18 »
when i got urma the yonda i was very unhappy with only getting my tippy toes on the floor, i'm 5ft8inches and didn't have this problem on the other yonda back in the day. i think a tall guy had changed the rear shocks and seat. the seat does seem very thick. i put some shocks on that measure 12/1/2inch centres this has cured the tippy toe problem. the big problem it has created now is the state of the private road where my garage is, i have to dodge the bumps and holes the best i can or the exhaust under the engine bottoms out.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #11 on: 02.03. 2022 13:25 »
just to add that betsy sometimes scrapes the humps if i don't go slow and snake around the lakes and mountains *bash*

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.03. 2022 21:03 »
Hi Guys
The early swing arm twin or B31/33 / Gold Star seat is narrower than the later A10 seat , If that helps *????*
Col,
You will need all the room you can get to fit in the big battery for the electric leg with some seats that dip more in the mid section
mine worked out OK, It might be possible to lower the battery tray ?

Dow long type fork bushes will lower the front an inch and maybe 12 or 12 1/2in. rear shocks to go with them?

I have shrunk to a 30in inside leg but can still manage my SR OK

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 04.03. 2022 00:35 »
Hi John,
Ooops I had forgotten about the height of the battery for the electric leg. Back to the drawing board then! I will look into lowering the battery box first, then the suspension. I am not ready yet to fit the electric leg, still some fettling to do beforehand.
Inside leg - is that measured to the hip bone or the underside of the scrotum?? *lol* Although at my age it isn't the priority it was once.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 04.03. 2022 22:29 »
Hi Col,
is that measured to the hip bone or the underside of the scrotum

*lol* *lol* ::hh:: ::hh::

John
1961 Super Rocket