Author Topic: Swinging arm A10 petrol tank pain and disaster!  (Read 561 times)

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
I am only doing a very limited mileage on my Golden Flash. I just do a local circuit every now and again to properly warm it up and keep everything running smoothly.

It has not always gone so well with, on three occasions, poor running on start up and hesitation when out on the road.

The first time it happened, I was positive the timing had "slipped" or that I had a problem with the ignition system. After wasting a lot of time on the electrickery, I eventually took the carb off and stripped it down to find that the pilot jet was completely blocked. It took quite a bit of effort to clear! Once cleared, she started first time and ran smoothly as she usually does.

The next time the poor running happened, I knew where to look and, sure enough, I tracked the fault to the pilot jet being blocked again.

This time I fitted a filter but, to no avail, the pilot jet blocked up again last week. I cleared the jet again but was surprised that anything had got past the filter. The jet didn't seem to have a particle of dirt blocking it, more a sort of encrustation. But difficult to be certain as the hole is so small. Because of the low mileage I have been doing, I guessed the petrol in the tank might be a few years old so I decided to use it in the mower instead and put fresh clean petrol back in the A10's tank.

So, this morning, I pumped the old petrol out of Flash. It didn't smell good and was quite orange in colour. I remember back along that the inside of the tank was coated in what looked like a fibreglass lining. Not any more  *sad2* All that is left of it now is some big slivers in the bottom  *eek*

I have read about modern ethanol-rich petrol dissolving older linings and can now attest to that - sadly!

I have now got to find out how to get rid of all the old liner remains, derust the inside of the tank and reline it. What else would I be doing?

I am sure that I have read quite a few tales from owners who have had the same issue so will do my research to find out the best way forward but I already feel better having shared my pain  *smile*

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Swinging arm A10 petrol tank pain and disaster!
« Reply #1 on: 31.03. 2022 09:21 »
G'day BrianS.
" guessed the petrol in the tank might be a few years old " *eek*
The "new" fuel is out the door n a few months *ex*
If your only doing a short trip now and then only put enough fuel in to do it + 10%. Then drain the carb and tank when you get home.
Yes you will have to strip the old liner out (probably Kreem) Paint stripper will work but protect the outside.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 31.03. 2022 11:49 »
Thank you for the tip muskrat  *smile*

I have had a look around and will probably follow Les Howard's system https://www.classicbikehub.uk/Workshop/article/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal followed by lining with POR15 which I have used on my C15 tanks with good results.

Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 31.03. 2022 14:13 »
por15 is good stuff, bought a new tank from India and lined it before using it, it fits ok but the petrol cap did not fit had to do a bit of adjustment!! it fits now.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 31.03. 2022 23:38 »
Hi All
Brian,
I would only reline the tank if it leaks
Just get the rust and crap out of it and put a good filter in the line

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.04. 2022 00:28 »
I agree. Liners are a short-term fix and will always give trouble sooner or later.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.04. 2022 13:35 »
I lined my tank with POR15 because of rust. That was 10 years ago. Liner still looks solid.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash