Author Topic: Possible seizure!!!  (Read 3345 times)

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
Re: Possible seizure!!!
« Reply #60 on: 30.04. 2022 21:06 »
Damn it, I’ve just spent an hour n arf looking for the oil filter I bought a while back, had to give up as I was loosing the plot and something is going to get broke if I carry on. So it’s all back in the garage til I remember where I put it or another one turns up in the post.
Consequently, no testing today.

at least you remembered why you went in the garage  *smiley4* thats usually my problem these days

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #61 on: 01.05. 2022 00:42 »
Yeah, getting older’s grand innit!!
It’s always either can’t find my glasses to look for it or can’t remember where I put it, or have to give up cos I need a pee, again!
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #62 on: 08.05. 2022 04:58 »
Yeah, getting older’s grand innit!!
It’s always either can’t find my glasses to look for it or can’t remember where I put it, or have to give up cos I need a pee, again!

But it is a lot more fun than the alternative
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #63 on: 23.05. 2022 01:56 »
Had the ten out over the weekend and she ran nicely over the 100 or so miles I’ve covered. Even repeated the same journey as the one it seized on a few weeks back and no problems.
Here’s what I found between then and now; the fuel flow was fine from the taps, but the points gap had closed from 12 thou to 8 thou retarding the ignition. So reset that, did oil n filter change, flushed out the tank and lines, (made new seat brackets while waiting for a filter to arrive), stripped the carb and blew out and cleaned all the jets and stuff and fitted a new throttle spring that is forgotten I’d bought. Found the cause of the sticking throttle to be the new twist grip was binding on my cheap-ass bar end mirror, so trimmed a couple of mm off the end of the rubber grip, and along with the stiffer spring now feels way better. Checked and reset the valve clearances, changed the fuel filters and made better lines, checked as many bolts as I could get to.
Going up the same hill as last time, she started to slow a bit (55 down to 50, but that was near the top of the hill and by the time I’d thought about changing down a cog wenwere  levelling out and starting to accelerate again. Yay!
With regards to the points gap; I initially thought that the points had slipped, but on closer examination I notice that the fluffy thing that oils the cam ring is missing so possible that the lack of lubrication had caused the heel of the points to wear, thus closing the gap. I’ve given the cam ring a smear of grease to help ease the points on their way.
Ive ordered a new carb kit from Amal along with the next couple of size up main and needle jets, though to be honest, I don’t think it’s far from right now anyway.
Thanks so much to all here for the advice and help: you guys rock!
Peace!
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #64 on: 23.05. 2022 10:08 »
Great news Minto! I know exactly the feeling of relief when you have a reassuring ride after a period of stress and worry.  👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #65 on: 01.06. 2022 09:24 »
Hey Neil, it is a relief but it’ll be a while yet until I’m fully confident in it.
Still a few jobs to do but they can wait til winter now I reckon.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Richard Hinton

• Moving Up
« Reply #66 on: 30.06. 2022 12:57 »
May be your ignition timing has slipped and is firing late, this will get your engine hot and you loose power. check your timing 11/32 BTDC on standard A10 cast head. When your engine was very hot could you turn it over with out any noises (not running) but just to see if any seizure was happening Squeaks or tightness.

Check your oil and sump see if any metal is there, i always drop magnets in the tank to catch engine wear. but if on the sump plate theres bit of white metal your shells have gone and its a total strip down
1960 GF

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #67 on: 01.07. 2022 00:47 »
Hey Richard, this was a couple of months back and pretty much everything on your list of good advice has been done now.
Now taking care of another issue, swapping mis-matched Cush drive parts, and fixing a primary cover after the chain wheel wore chunks of it away, bits arrived this morning so maybe get it done Saturday.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR