Author Topic: Update on the new BSA  (Read 5624 times)

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Update on the new BSA
« Reply #15 on: 04.07. 2022 22:34 »
Some of the KTM range are built in china. Generally I think it’s not unusual nowadays to keep costs down by designing and developing (and marketing) in a “home” country and building in another. KTM have a part share of a company in china that not only builds KTM’s but also builds bikes for “Cfmoto”. Go figure.

Triumphs are built in Thailand.  Not all of them, but most.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 05.07. 2022 05:29 »
Some of the KTM range are built in china. Generally I think it’s not unusual nowadays to keep costs down by designing and developing (and marketing) in a “home” country and building in another. KTM have a part share of a company in china that not only builds KTM’s but also builds bikes for “Cfmoto”. Go figure.

Triumphs are built in Thailand.  Not all of them, but most.

Not hard.
The long term aim of China is to totally destroy the economies of the non-communist countries
And they are so close to success that it is not funny
I subscribe to a lot of foundry journals and foundries anywhere other than China or India are closing down on a daily basis
Wealth is created by inventing, making, mining or growing things
by the end of this decade China will be dominant in the first 2
Because they will be generating most of the real wealth the rest of the world will be locked into service economies that do not generate wealth but simply shift it from one pocket into a different pocket .
Just how much the world has allowed themselves to become slaves to China was well displayed during the Covid lockdowns & despite a lot of jaw flapping, the instant the pandemic was over it was back to business as before .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 05.07. 2022 08:51 »
When comparing the new BSA with other bikes on the market there can be no reason, other than nostalgia, for buying one. They'll probably sell like hot cakes because nostalgia is a powerful motivator in the market place. I can understand somebody buying one if they want to ride round the country lanes on something a bit different on a Sunday afternoon. But in the end, all it is, is a 'pretend' classic bike that will appeal to those of us who want something that's a bit quirky. Maybe that's me and I'm not ruling out owning one for all the wrong emotional reasons. But none of the practical reasons for buying one stack up. I don't even think it looks particularly nice. Nor does it satisfy my urge to pledge allegiance to the marque because there's nothing about the bike that's even British (that I'm aware of), never mind BSA. BSA, as we knew it, is dead and that's why we get all misty eyed when we see a proper Gold Star or Rocket 3 or Rocket Goldie or whatever. Nobody's going to get misty-eyed looking at an international assemblage of parts just because it has a BSA badge on the tank. If you've got £7000 to spend and you want something practical you can buy a Yamaha MT-07 for example. I've got an A10 which I restored 20 years ago and, honestly, it has never let me down, and it's still a lovely bike - if anybody wants that for £7000 they can have it and have a slice of genuine nostalgia. The new BSA (badge) is a case of Emperor's New Clothes in my opinion. Rotax powered BSA, it's been done before anyway, at half the price!!

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.07. 2022 10:07 »
Its a shame if the new bsa isn’t made in the uk, Benelli is chinese owned nowadays but the Benelli’s are made in italy and some sell very well there for obvious reasons (I owned a 750 benelli sei for around 16 years but sold it ‘99, but they also went bump and in the 90’s parts arrived in moto guzzi boxes  *eek* )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benelli_(motorcycles)
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #19 on: 06.07. 2022 07:21 »
When comparing the new BSA with other bikes on the market there can be no reason, other than nostalgia, for buying one. They'll probably sell like hot cakes because nostalgia is a powerful motivator in the market place. I can understand somebody buying one if they want to ride round the country lanes on something a bit different on a Sunday afternoon. But in the end, all it is, is a 'pretend' classic bike that will appeal to those of us who want something that's a bit quirky. Maybe that's me and I'm not ruling out owning one for all the wrong emotional reasons. But none of the practical reasons for buying one stack up. I don't even think it looks particularly nice. Nor does it satisfy my urge to pledge allegiance to the marque because there's nothing about the bike that's even British (that I'm aware of), never mind BSA. BSA, as we knew it, is dead and that's why we get all misty eyed when we see a proper Gold Star or Rocket 3 or Rocket Goldie or whatever. Nobody's going to get misty-eyed looking at an international assemblage of parts just because it has a BSA badge on the tank. If you've got £7000 to spend and you want something practical you can buy a Yamaha MT-07 for example. I've got an A10 which I restored 20 years ago and, honestly, it has never let me down, and it's still a lovely bike - if anybody wants that for £7000 they can have it and have a slice of genuine nostalgia. The new BSA (badge) is a case of Emperor's New Clothes in my opinion. Rotax powered BSA, it's been done before anyway, at half the price!!

Exactly
and if you want a "pretend classic" then the new interceptor has just set records
https://royalenfield.com.au/news-announcements/royal-enfield-smashes-land-speed-record/?fbclid=IwAR2H4uGB75BeCYK5wwFflUIuooLlTUGGjJiP17KeIleFYw7kLPKlrcV-TQQ
It will cost a lot less and probably go a lot better .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 12.07. 2022 21:46 »
'Now Classic Legends have advised that the Gold Star will be available to order soon, and they’ve confirmed that prices start at a very competitive £6500 – aiming squarely as Enfield’s 650 twins. That’s for the Highland Green livery. The red, black and ‘Dawn Silver’ bikes will cost £6800 apiece, while the ‘Silver Sheen Legacy’ edition will retail at £7000.

Most excitingly, the first deliveries of this 45bhp, five-speed bike are expected to arrive ‘mid to late August.’
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 12.07. 2022 21:49 »
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 12.07. 2022 22:29 »
As near as I can find out your local Mahindra tractor dealer will be the distributor and i would guess parts and service

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 12.07. 2022 22:35 »
'BSA has announced Lukas Distribution today (27 June 2022) as its new distributor in the UK and Ireland.'
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #24 on: 13.07. 2022 01:20 »
1st thing I'd do should I own one would be get rid of that crappy exhaust ... 
IMO it sounds horrible ...  trust the Indians to stuff up a classic.   *bash*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 13.07. 2022 01:55 »

I would get rid of the ugly flanged gas tank theyve had lots of practice copying the original gold star tank ....... a big  company  like Mahindra should be able to make one that fits and doesnt leak like some of the copies from India.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #26 on: 13.07. 2022 09:29 »

Looks are one thing
Passing noise regulations is another
I would imagine that a prettier after market one will become available just the same as HD
Stock exhausts, sounds like a 4 ton truck
Aftermarket pipes universally fittied knock bricks out of walls .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 13.07. 2022 09:57 »
Aftermarket pipes universally fittied knock bricks out of walls .
Just what you want to hear in the middle of the night when the windows are open during the current heatwave in the UK 😵
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 13.07. 2022 12:44 »
Posted by Bill Nelson who is a senior member of the BSAOC UK.

The 2 bikes Chris & I had at Brooklands were production bikes and we were selected to do the test rides on site. At no point were we asked to take it easy.
The only constraint we both felt arose from the dire warnings of disaster promulgated by others who had "done the hill" - 1:8 to 1:5 to 1:4; if you stall we'll chock your wheel & help you turn around (!!!); shut off before the top as if you overshoot you'll take off & miss the sharp right turn to get onto the track down.
As is well known and medically verified, I very rarely pump adrenalin. This time I most certainly did.
I'll leave Chris to tell his tale.
On my first run, I watched a number of heroes on really powerful bikes producing a variety of results, so I decided to play safe and hook 2nd & see how it went. As instructed, I shut off just before the crest & the engine braking all but stopped the bike & I was amazed to see plenty of room and a right turn easier than any uphill right out of a small side road.
2nd run, I was following a highly customised street fighter, giving it good with the paddock blips with added bonus of a straight through pipe. Sadly, when he gave it 5k & dropped the clutch, it bogged down. At that point, I decided to do a 1st gear run.
Knowing the engine has a flat torque curve, courtesy of Ashish's inspired camshaft, I held 2500 on the clock as the Marshall tapped 3-2-1-GO on my shoulder. A twist of the grip and a simple drop the clutch had me leaning forwards to keep the front wheel down. I gave it full beans and saw 40mph on the speedo, before I started thinking about the top. I don't know what speed I actually reached or what the elapsed time was, but I know for sure there was at least another second to be shaved off as I still managed well within margin at the top.
For absolute confirmation the power delivery and torque were pure straight line.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)