Author Topic: bolts  (Read 2677 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
bolts
« on: 26.09. 2009 19:14 »
 WoW!

I cannot believe the difficulty I am having finding the fasteners for this bike. Now I am not talking the easy ones, but things like the engine case studs and what-not. Everywhere you look, they are listed in a catalog- but when you order you are lucky to get any at all.

I just placed a big order with British Only, and Trevor was good enough to send what he had- but there is nowhere near all the stuff I need. I have looked at lightening, SRM, domi, etc. etc. and can find very little. Oh, most is listed somewhere- but its also not been in stock for years and years and was never removed!

Does anyone know of a small shop that makes these special fasteners? If not, I can see a money making venture. What a boon it would be to click on e-bay and find every nut, stud, and washer for say the engine, or gearbox, or frame....all in a neat package. Especially if it was all high quality stuff- I know I would pay the price and leave with a smile.....

I imagine I am now down to buying the right bolt, cutting the heads off and threading that side to whatever. I can find some stuff in stainless, but again I am just not big on it for high stress fasteners, not to mention the risk of galling everything.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Richard

Re: bolts
« Reply #1 on: 26.09. 2009 20:55 »
Here in the UK I tend not to bother with SRM and the big boys who seem to stock the fast moving must have modified bits and bobs, but use Kidderminster motorcycles who have always come up trumps for me with the rebuilds i have done, I do not know if they post worlwide but I would imagine that it would not be a problem to them. Google them and there number will come up or send me an email with a list and I will phone them from here (it will not cost me anything) and I can email you with the result and if they have the stuff you need but do not post then maybe I can help sort it out
Regards
Richard

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.09. 2009 00:22 »
Lee and others,
                            Here attached is my fastener list. Hopefully it is accurate, if anyone finds any problems with it would you let me know.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 27.09. 2009 00:31 »
This bloke trades on evil-bay and always has lots of A10 stuff, all stainless. Might be worth contacting him to see what he can supply.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BSA-STAINLESS-STEEL-SUMP-PLATE-STUDS-C-W-4-LONG-NUTS_W0QQitemZ280394992138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item4148d80a0a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 27.09. 2009 12:35 »
These folks are very helpful  http://www.motalia.com/Catalogues/Bolts/ipage.html
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 27.09. 2009 14:53 »
http://www.barleycorn.co.uk/
Everything you need for an A10 in stainless.
There is a company called I think Surplus Supplies that has stalls at autojumbles, they have a website but I cant find it on the net just now. I'll see if I can find their business card for you.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.09. 2009 10:39 »
 Thanks guys!

Richard, I will send off a mail and hopefully they will ship worldwide. That was a very kind offer, and I thank you. If there is ever a time you need the same kind of help from my side of the pond just give me a shout! ;)

Trev, great list- and thanks for posting this. I know it will come in very handy down the road for me.

And thanks for the links guys- though I am not to big on stainless having done maintenance in a food processing plant (lots of stainless, and LOTS of galling)- it may come down to that. Its still hard for me to believe nobody makes these bolts from steel especially for the BSA/Triumph crowd. I think there is quite the niche market there!

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 28.09. 2009 13:22 »
I must say that I am surprised that you can't get everything you need in both stainless and steel from Lightning Spares.
Ian, the previous owner, used to always offer stuff in both.
Cheers,
Iain