Author Topic: For sale 1952 BSA A7 Star Twin Plunger based Bobber  (Read 725 times)

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
Hi all

I am selling my 1952   BSA A7 Star Twin Plunger based Bobber for £4,800.

In early 2021, I was not looking for a BSA project but discovered this bike derelict in a local garden and I could not resist having a go at rebuilding it.  I really enjoyed the rebuild, although it has not been without its problems. 

I have a small garage and need the space as I have bought another project (1976 Honda TL125) and need to finish my Norton Commando. I would rather it went to someone who knows BSAs, so I am advertising it on the forum first.  It still needs running in as it has done less than ten miles up and down the road outside my garage, but it starts first kick no problem.

I have spent £3,500 on new parts alone, which is more than I should have, but the bike looks great.
The bike has had some serious upgrades…

• SRM Magneto electronic ignition conversion (previous owner upgrade, but I bought a new stator plate. The old one is probably OK and is a spare).

• Alton alternator conversion (Previous owner upgrade, I have replaced it with a new alternator.  The Alton people told me the old one was 2004 vintage and it did pass the tests they suggested so it will do as a spare or sell on).

• SRM up rated Oil Pump. This is a new addition, expensive but worth it for the improved oil flow.

• Needle roller conversion to crankshaft.  A previous owner upgrade, I have no information on who might have done the conversion.

The Bobber front end is from a BSA A65 Lightning but with the 4” longer fork stanchions.

Gearbox  was rebuilt
Cylinder rebored with new pistons.
New Big and Small End bearings
New wiring loom.

It looks like the Bobber was put together in 1982 from a 1953 frame and 1952 engine, when it was given an age appropriate registration with a year of manufacture recorded on the V5 as 1952, so the bike is Historic registered and requires no MOT or TAX.

Lots of spares, including spare Crankcase, Cylinder Barrel, rocker box and crankshaft.

Degsy
Edinburgh

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: For sale 1952 BSA A7 Star Twin Plunger based Bobber
« Reply #1 on: 05.07. 2022 21:03 »
G'day Degsy.
Best of luck with the sale.
Very nice looking bike mate, very tastefully done. I like the look of large fin head on small fin barrels.
I hope the Forum was a help in the build.
stay in touch.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.07. 2022 00:20 »
Wish I was there, had the money, and in the market. It is very cool and I believe the price is fair if the running is good (and I am thinking it is).  What guy (or woman, for that matter, even if they won't admit it) would not want to ride that thing?

Richard

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.07. 2022 09:11 »
Wish I was there, had the money, and in the market. It is very cool and I believe the price is fair if the running is good (and I am thinking it is).  What guy (or woman, for that matter, even if they won't admit it) would not want to ride that thing?
Richard

Me. Good job we're all different with our tastes on bikes though.

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.07. 2022 14:14 »
Hi all
Thanks for the comments guys and I should say this forum was such a valuable source of advice during the rebuild.

I needed a replacement barrel and by chance found a small fin barrel locally so that made the choice for me, looks good though. 
The tank is from a BSA Bantam and the rear alloy wheel is a Borrani, hand made in Italy they are used on classic Ferraris.  The 4 inch longer fork stanchions actually have a BSA parts number but nobody had them in the UK,  and I eventually found new pair in Austria! and for the same price as reconditioning the old ones would have cost. 

I live in a flat (apartment) in the centre of Edinburgh up two flights of stairs so no storage at home, it would look good in the hallway just as decoration. 
I bought a small garage 3 miles away and that is my workshop, it would be nice to keep the BSA but its too cramped and to be honest in my old age (retired) I enjoy tinkering and do less riding so realistically three bikes is one too many, but I would keep it and more if I had the space.  I am looking for more space.

Degsy

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 07.07. 2022 15:21 »
Ha!

Probably a good thing I have two flights of stairs to climb.  I can carry my pushbike up but not an BSA A7.

Degsy

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.07. 2022 15:51 »
Hi Folks

Just to let you know that my A7 Bobber is not for sale at the moment, there has not been any interested buyers anyway, but I think it might have a problem so I need to check this out before thinking about selling it.

I noticed a whirring and knocking/clacking sound and having bought the bike as a non runner I am not familiar with how a BSA A7 should sound, the bike started first kick and idles fine, so I ignored it at first but it is definitely not normal.  Putting my hand on the engine I can feel it’s coming from the timing cover, not the barrel or cylinder head.

I need to take the timing cover off and hopefully the problem will be revealed and not too serious.

I’ll take myself over to the Engine Forum for advice once I have had a look.

Cheers

Degsy

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.07. 2022 16:53 »
 Scare yourself with a listening stick on the magneto drive end. Worn ATD units rattle and clank at low revs, so a good place to start. Missing cork washer under dynamo drive gear will allow float on the idler gear shaft. Cam should have next to no float. Dynamo chain also needs to be set up OK. Too loose and it machines away the inner timing cover.

Swarfy.

Offline Degsy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 05.08. 2022 16:14 »
Swarfy

Thanks for the comments, I'll take my reply over to the Engine section of the forum, see you over there

Degsy

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 06.08. 2022 02:38 »
If you’re really struggling for space mate, I’ll “store” that Norton for you!
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR