Author Topic: H/L shell -adaptation info please  (Read 402 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
H/L shell -adaptation info please
« on: 31.07. 2022 09:18 »
I don't generally take to my bikes with a Dremel BUT!
When I originally built my SR (a partscaster) I used a reproduction Headlight shell - it's fibreglass - looks quite okay, -it's the type with seperate panel for switch and Ammeter. (see below).
But I now have a steel shell and the little instrument panel, and I want to mate them and use that. But my shell, whilst identical in form to the type with cutouts for the instrument panel, doesn't have the cutouts. It has a single approx 1" hole at the top (pilot light maybe?) and three grommet holes for wires underneath.

Can anyone give me measurements or a rough template of the cutout please so I can modify mine? Sure I can 'derive' it but it would be nice to get it reasonably accurate, (so's not to be offensive to the prince of darkness :-0)

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: H/L shell -adaptation info please
« Reply #1 on: 31.07. 2022 11:56 »
Its unlikely but, if yr shell has two holes like the pic below it MIGHT be the type that fits under a “cowpat” nacelle and the holes are for a rubber tube containing the speedo cable.

If so it would be a shame to cut it up!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.08. 2022 01:25 »
My shell might well have been used under a cowpat. I did sell a cowpat years ago, and I actually use the big rubber grommet from it to mount my speedo in the non-standard speedo panel I made. And I also have a curved rubber tube with flanges that could've contained the wires going to the H/L shell from the cowpat.

Both my shells are 7 1/2" dia - outer measurement at the widest point - (about 7 1/4" at the rim mount ledge). Not 8". (Maybe 8" is the approx outer measurement of a 7 1/2"?)
The Lucas parts list I've seen shows a 6", a 7" and 7 1/2"in the 'instrument panel style. Lucas refer to "aperture" measurement. I think the 7 1/2" might be the MU142, the 7" SSU700 (I think) The one I have (cowpat?) looks like a SS700.

Yes I know I shouldn't be threatening an unnatural act with my Dremel. I had considered trying to do a swap... trouble is I did a concourse 2K black paint/clear job on mine and I doubt that I'd get one like it in exchange.
Dilemma.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.08. 2022 12:04 »
Some pictures of my cowpat I took for RichardL

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eayfmu454pa79m8/AABeaHaHC7CYEyUNnYqMXoQEa?dl=0

Update: you'd better download those pix before Admin removes my link for using an external hosting site.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.08. 2022 14:41 »
Neil thanks for those pics, Excellent reference. (Downloaded).  *wink2* Yes I have one of those internal rubber cable/wire guides, though it's not in very good nick. Restorable though.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.08. 2022 17:02 »
Some pictures of my cowpat I took for RichardL

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eayfmu454pa79m8/AABeaHaHC7CYEyUNnYqMXoQEa?dl=0

Update: you'd better download those pix before Admin removes my link for using an external hosting site.

Nice to see those pictures back, because, in my sloth-speed process, I'm yet to finish it.

Richard L.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.08. 2022 07:48 »
Any chance of some approx measurements for that H/L cutout for inst panel slighthitchmitch?
I know what it looks like, (As per your sketch) but approx measurements would help.
My shell is NOT a cowpat type BTW, dunno what it's off.

Oh, and while I'm at it, was there any sort of rubber/gasket between the shell and the instrument panel, or was it just metal to metal?

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.08. 2022 23:52 »
Jools, there was a rubber strip which was fitted between the panel and bucket, I have only seen perished ones and don't bother with a gasket.