Author Topic: lifting handle  (Read 306 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
lifting handle
« on: 14.07. 2022 17:51 »
Ironic that on another current post we've been discussing the quality of parts made in India. Well, I just bought a 'made in UK' lifting handle, claimed to be an authentic copy of an original unit.
Sort of - at first glance it looks good, but the bends aren't right and the mounting faces are at a wrong angle, making the unit hang down (if it could even be fitted - I'd have to leave the N/S shock absorber off). Pity the manufacturer didn't try his units on an actual bike before production.
This is way beyond 'a tweak' so it'll have to go back. Anyone know where one can get a handle that actually fits?

Footnote - this is for a S/A model.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: lifting handle
« Reply #1 on: 14.07. 2022 18:18 »
I bought one two or so years back and although it had a little Union Jack on it I suspect it's just Far Eastern sh*t repackaged in the UK.
Took some bending and filing to make it fit then another trip to the powder coaters.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.07. 2022 18:39 »
I don't mean to cast nasturtiums on your intelligence RD but might it be downside-up? 🙃
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.08. 2022 10:22 »
Update - was weary of buying another handle unless there was at least some guarantee it might fit. I couldn't see the fun of waiting a week to receive something that didn't fit (again) and then paying for the privilege of returning it - over and over.
Then I spotted Draganfly offering handles. They looked good and are advertised as 'made in house'. And so I ordered one.
Fitted it yesterday. It needed a bit of oxy-acetylene to adjust some bends / feet angle slightly, but otherwise it's good. And now fitted.  *smile*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.