Author Topic: Clearance Horn to dynamo end  (Read 292 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Clearance Horn to dynamo end
« on: 05.08. 2022 08:02 »
Got a lovely new long front lower engine mounting bolt (stud) Finally - and at enormous expense! -so I can mount my delicious Lucas Altette horn. (It scares me just looking at it, let alone actually HEARING the ***ker!)
But on fitting, the back of the horn presses back on the dynamo endplugs and rubber boot.

I'll be making a spacer for this, behind the horn bracket against the frame lug, but it looks like whatever I do, the horn rear will hit the dynamo output plugs/rubber boot.
Yes it's the correct long mount bolt, but don't tell me, I've got to make one that's about 8mm longer!

Any clues?

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Clearance Horn to dynamo end
« Reply #1 on: 05.08. 2022 09:13 »
I suppose the simple answer is to bend the mount bracket so the horn sits further out.
(Now, why didn't I think of that?)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.08. 2022 23:47 »
Jools,
You should have a bracket with a double set which was fitted as standard. The straight bracket causes your trouble.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.08. 2022 00:27 »
You're right Trev, my bracket is flat, I should have consulted the 'A Group' parts book more closely, it shows the bracket with 'stepped' bend. It'll need heat... And I'll need the BIG 'ammer.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.08. 2022 03:43 »
Jools,
This is a bracket which is supposedly genuine. It has a 1" off-set.
I set the brackets which I make to 1/2" which is plenty.
You don't need a big hammer, just put the bracket in your vice with the mount upward on the lower bend mark. Heave gently then turn it and set the upper mark.
Place on a flat surface to check for parallel and adjust with a soft hammer if required. Easy.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 06.08. 2022 04:31 »
I've actually been able to mount it nicely just using spacers, so no bending needed.
Cor it's a real '**K=OFF getoutamiway' horn! Love it!
(Thanks Trev, my bracket has a doubler which would make a bend very difficult, so happy I didn't need to bend it)