Author Topic: Which engine do I have  (Read 665 times)

Offline Devlin

• A's Good Friend
Which engine do I have
« on: 08.08. 2022 17:40 »
1949 A7 engine number ZA7S4289, So from previous info on here its a long stroke but what do the numbers mean with reference to getting spares its an A group I assume but thats about the extent of my knowledge, the engine is going to have to be stripped as the previous owner rode it back from Carlisle to Glasgow without oil "making a right clatter" said he, its not siezed but that is probably the only good bit, can someone tell me what special tools I may need to obtain and or fabricate
Devlin
Isle of Arran 49 A7 LS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Which engine do I have
« Reply #1 on: 08.08. 2022 20:22 »
The first special tool that you would need is probably a clutch hub puller..
I don't need one for my Plungie. It looks like his primary may be the same design.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 08.08. 2022 20:31 »
G'day Devlin.
Let Dr Google do the walking. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=BSA+A+A10+special+tools
Draganfly have a good list https://tinyurl.com/3stj6ye5
As SHM said a good set of Whit/BS combination spanners & sockets. Sizing can be confusing, 1/4 Whit = 5/16 BS.

Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.08. 2022 21:23 »
You will need a combination spanner set and socket set with whitworth sizes,

Well, Imperial sizes, but I'd disagree with recommending combination spanners to anyone. For Saturday morning amateur mechanics only. ;)

Far better to get older O/E and ring sets, which are usually dirt cheap second hand.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 08.08. 2022 21:46 »
I'd disagree with recommending combination spanners to anyone. For Saturday morning amateur mechanics only. ;)

Don't disagree with you about avoiding some of the unbranded low-end combinations Rex, but have to say that decent ones, Gedore and Elora brands spring immediately to mind, are among the best spanners I've got.
They have served daily - not just Saturday mornings! - for several decades. I would really hate to be without them, even though I have loads of open-enders and rings, sockets in various drive sizes etc, that do the job too.
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with combination ones, and in more than a few cases the shallower crank on the ring end is a help, compared to a more fully- cranked ring. But, as ever, it's whatever we're comfortable with, as long as the quality's adequate.
Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 08.08. 2022 22:29 »
G'day Fellas.
The combo spanners are the most used in my box. I also have a few that have been ground down thinner for some of those more awkward ones ( 5 barrel nuts, front & rear rockerbox nuts (big fin heads) and a few sockets that have been thinned down for the head bolts. Most rescued from "the fire" but I bought a new set anyway.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.08. 2022 22:38 »
I am a proud Saturday morning (sometimes 3:00 AM) mechanic.  I have never heard of using both ends of a dual ring spanner at the same time, so I didn't think it should matter what's on the other end from the ring (or the open spanner, for that matter). However, Groily's point about differences in cranking for dual ring versus combination allows room for debate. Other than the expense, space to keep them, and the needs of an amateur, I would have every possible kind just for the fun of it.

Richard L. 

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.08. 2022 22:46 »
It's a Star Twin, does it still have the twin carburettors fitted?

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09.08. 2022 01:55 »
Devlin,
I have gotten most of the useful spanners from antique shops. Nobody wants SAE or Whitworth these days, so I have usually paid A$1 -2 for them. There are a few SAE nuts on the BSA. British Cycle Thread is most common, but these use Whitworth spanners as do BSW and BSF. Then there is BA (British Association) used on Lucas electrical components - you can purchase BA spanners OK, and being small are cheap enough.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 09.08. 2022 12:19 »
At our municipal tip there is a shop that supports local charities;  they often have boxes of tools for sale very cheaply;  I've picked up imperial size spanners for very little money.

Facebook Marketplace is another source of old tools.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.01. 2023 18:19 »
 C'mon Devlin, give us a progress report. In bits or still prospecting?

Swarfy.