Author Topic: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960  (Read 2915 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: A new member with a newly acquired A10 1960
« Reply #30 on: 03.10. 2022 15:59 »
You really aren't hanging about on this one Colin! Congrats - looks luvverley!
Bill

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 03.10. 2022 20:15 »
Sadly Leon was absent again on Friday so he is now a final written warning, so instead of twiddling my thumbs the rims and spokes arrived so I was able to spend Friday assembling those, I have a fixture which holds the rim while I true it up, the front wheel fitted without issues but the rear wheel spindle was too large so I set it up on the bike and trued it in situ, so both wheels trued up and ready for tyres, please see photos.

Saturday arrived and so did Leon, first job was to load the van with some bikes as we had entered three bikes in the Mid Wales Classic Bike Show at Pant-y-Dwr on the Sunday (yesterday) bit of a squeeze to get them in but all securely in place.

Rest of the day was spent assembling the timing side which went well, mag and dynamo fitted and everything timed, tappets done and we also assembled the primary side only issue there was the clutch pushrod, there is a Triumph four spring clutch fitted and the existing pushrod was badly worn and by searching the forum I found the length it should be was 12", as the existing worn one was 11 3/4 I made a new one but that when fitted was too long so I will reduce the length to suit in the week.

Need to press on with the front forks this coming weekend and get the rest of the black bits done, but things are progressing well under the circumstances.

The bike show on Sunday was very enjoyable, hope to go again next year.

Kind regards to all Colin

Its a common “upgrade” to fit a ball bearing in the middle of a cut in half clutch push rod, which would bring your 11 3/4” rod up to length 😆
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
  • Government is not the answer, it's the problem!
« Reply #32 on: 03.10. 2022 20:44 »
 A worthwhile improvement for your transmission is to replace the drive sprocket locknut with one that has an oil seal. They are available from SRM. Your being a tool maker could make your own. It keeps the oil in the transmission and off the shed floor. It looks like you are making great progress. These A10's are very nice bikes. I have a 1953 plunger frame A10 and love it! Regards, Lloyd L ( Note: they also have a primary sliding plate with an oil seal, same result.)
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #33 on: 03.10. 2022 21:36 »
G'day Lloyd.
The sprocket nut with seal won't fit on a plunger/rigid A7/10. No worries on a sa.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #34 on: 05.10. 2022 21:30 »
Thanks for the comments and advice, I shall modify the push rod as you suggested KIWI and regarding the sprocket/seal I shall see how bad the leak is, thank you both. I have added a photo of the two bikes that won a rosette at the weekend, B26 best pre war section and the Bantam highly commended in the road bike class.

Kind regards Colin

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #35 on: 09.10. 2022 12:11 »
Had two full shifts in this weekend and we did make a lot of progress, all the frame parts have been fettled, primed and finished in black gloss, this only leaves mudguards, tanks plus the tool box to finish, so next weekend the forks can be built up and fitted plus the wheels and mudguards dry fitted, new front mudguard stays have to made. I like a dry fit to make sure it all goes together and we have the right size bolts.......................and nothing worse than scratching new paint.

Also changed the clutch pushrod to a two piece with a ball in the middle as per photo.

Kind regards Colin

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #36 on: 16.10. 2022 14:09 »
Leon had a busy week.........he painted the petrol tank which now only needs the lacquer, we built up the forks over the weekend and fitted both wheels, dry fitted the mudguards and made front stays for the front one and prepped them all ready for spraying next weekend.

A very busy but enjoyable weekend, apologies for the disproportionate photos not sure where I went wrong,  regards to all.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #37 on: 23.10. 2022 16:48 »
I was alone on Friday (again) but got quite a bit done, handlebars, headlamp, fitted along with instruments and started to make the harness. On Saturday Leon sprayed the inside of the mudguards, toolbox, oil tank, rear number plate and all the stays.

Transfers and lacquer next weekend plus mudguards and maybe following weekend bolt it all together and give the engine a run.

Kind regards Colin

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #38 on: 30.10. 2022 13:27 »
The parts needing to be gold have now all had a few coats of base coat the parts were then divided into two sessions for the lacquer, in yesterday's lot were oil tank mudguards and stays, next weekend will be petrol tank toolbox and rear number plate.

Wiring harness almost done and the chain guard was fitted plus the number plates have now got letters, as previously stated hoping to run the engine next weekend.

Regards to all.

PS.
Can anyone spot the fly?

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 30.10. 2022 16:16 »

Its a common “upgrade” to fit a ball bearing in the middle of a cut in half clutch push rod, which would bring your 11 3/4” rod up to length 😆

Better still, fit a clutch roller in place of the bearing ball as it has  flat and larger surface areas for the pushrod to act on.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #40 on: 06.11. 2022 14:39 »
Hello all,

First job on Friday was to fit the rear mudguard which proved to be a right pain but in the end we got it looking central and correct, next was the oil tank which was straight forward, we fitted an oil switch as the bike was prone to wet sumping.

Next was the front mudguard which caused no problems even the stays fitted well, we made the front one and the rear stay which was a bought item but sadly over an inch too wide so that had to cut and shut.

Leon sprayed the petrol tank, tool box and rear number plate with clear coat................I have had my knuckles rapped by Leon for calling it lacquer..........how am I supposed to know about paint I am but a humble metal basher, I rest my case.

After lunch yesterday we put some oil in the tank, petrol in the carb and after few kicks the engine fired up and ran, we ran it long enough to check oil was circulating, dynamo was charging, engine was a little rough but no nasty noises or smoke and no oil leaks yet.

So next weekend the assembly should be complete and then we can spanner it and check it through but it won't be on the road until March/April as I live on a farm lane which gets really mucky in the winter months between tractors and cattle it's a right mess.

Kind regards to all.

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #41 on: 06.11. 2022 14:45 »
Just a few more photos,

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #42 on: 06.11. 2022 17:07 »
wow !

What a great (no, fantastic) job (and great topic).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 06.11. 2022 19:52 »
Hi All,
This must be one of the fastest rebuilds I have seen on the forum or otherwise  *????*
Fair dues Colin and Leon *clap* *clap* *clap*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline cbranni

• Moving Up
« Reply #44 on: 09.11. 2022 17:15 »
Thank you both for the very kind comments, much appreciated.

Kind regards Colin,