Author Topic: Kick starter slipping.  (Read 258 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Kick starter slipping.
« on: 30.08. 2022 12:51 »
G'day Fellas.
As posted in "What have you done" section.
Last night I pulled the g/box outer cover off. The kickstart has been slipping/disengaging on occasion (not good for the knee joint). On removing the ratchet pinion it all came flooding back to me I saw the bush I made years ago. There was a bad batch of pinions where the ID was oversize. The bush was still in good nick. It was then I noticed I had mismatched quadrant/pinion. I must have been in a hurry to get going and didn't notice the difference.  *bash* *pull hair out*. Now to find and order a matched pair. I'll throw it back together and be careful when kicking.
Cheers
Of all the things I've lost I miss my memory the most.

Today's post.
On close inspection the quad and pinion are meshing quite well (with the outer cover off). There's a few marks on the top of the pinion teeth but that would be from jamming not slipping. There is very little play in the pinion/bush and both quadrant bush's.  There is a bit of end float on the shaft so I knocked the outer bush in a bit to eliminate that. It looks to me the problem lies with the pinion and ratchet. There is a bit of wear and the spring feels weak. I made a 1mm thick spacer to give the spring a bit extra preload. Tomorrow I'll throw it all back together and test. Just another excuse to ride to work  *grins*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7