Author Topic: new van to me nightmare  (Read 205 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
new van to me nightmare
« on: 01.09. 2022 22:50 »
after scrapping my 30 year old van i bought a 2010 vauxhall combo 1.3 , "nice clean car kato" as my old mate used to say about every car he brought to me to work on *whistle*. well after a couple of weeks it has started weeing from the back of the engine. after much looking under and over head i couldn't find where from. as usual on these modern things you can't see anything you need to work on. i phoned a garage mechanic i know and he said it would be a rotten metal pipe at the back that you can't get to or see without taking lots of bits off, he also said it is common on these badged up by vauxhall  fiat punto  things!  so i am going to get a garage quote { my mates garage doesn't want the job his gaffer says he never wants to do another} and if i think it's too much £££££s i will strip the darn thing myself and do it even if it takes me a week *work* *bash* i did a twin cam rover that had to have it's head skimmed and found out when put back together the new cam belt was on full adjustment *eek* --- an engine designed not to have a head skim...  berger build will have to wait a bit longer. oh well pub tomorrow plenty black&tans and a ponder with my brain cell *beer* *beer*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: new van to me nightmare
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2022 07:40 »
 If that Rover motor was the K Series, whoever put the plastic Thermostat Housing behind the water pump was sponsored by the Guild of Gymnastic Mechanics. Especially when the engine is fitted to an MGTF. Those who have ever had complete coolant loss when the housing splits know what a hidden bastard it is to get access. And don't get me on Alternator belt adjustment for this vehicle, that's another simple job (not) done on the ramp or like most of us, lying on your back in the dirt.

As for berg's leak, core plugs, a weeping hose or that failing pipe fixed with JB Weld or Epoxy putty for now rather than a complete tear down leaves more drinking time. Make sure it is actually coolant leaking, (life endangering taste test) not condensate from the Air Con......

Swarfy

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.09. 2022 10:55 »
swarfy it is coolant and you couldn't even send a well trained hamster in there to bodge it, can only get one finger in from underneath *eek* and can see bugger all. i have been on the interwebby and it seems a common fault with the hidden steel pipe rotting out. it has to have the rail and assorted bits removed just to see it properly

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.09. 2022 12:09 »
A few years ago our Fiat Panda lost its coolant. I couldn't see where the leak was. I tried radweld to seal the leak, without success. I had to call out the AA, (Automobile Association). The mechanic took a look and said, "there is a plastic connector for the heater on the back of the engine; they split; it's a common problem". He then went to his van and came back with a new brass version and proceeded to fit said item. I was amazed that the AA people actually carry things like that. In about half an hour I was on my way! 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.09. 2022 12:25 »
GB send me that AA person but tell him to expect to be with me all day, i will make the coffee and bacon sarnies *bright idea*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.09. 2022 14:41 »
i will make the coffee and bacon sarnies *bright idea*
The AA man may prefer ketchup in his 😁
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash