Author Topic: Unusual Problem  (Read 3035 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Unusual Problem
« on: 30.12. 2006 16:11 »
I had not used the A7 for some weeks so I took it out for a 30 mile round shopping trip this afternoon. Lately I've had a problem with the clutch sticking when the bike has stood for a while. There is one friction plate with grey material instead of the usual brown and I think that's the one that sticks. I've never had this problem before so have not developed the habit of freeing the clutch before starting the engine. I tend to remember after it's started. This is what happened today so I let the engine die and pulled the clutch in to give it a freeing off kick. The trouble was, every time I tried this, however gently, the engine would start. The kill button is not connected at the moment so I could not hold that in. I ended up having to do it in gear with the front brake on.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Unusual Problem
« Reply #1 on: 30.12. 2006 19:41 »
Hi Fido,

You have a finely tuned bike there.....but if the problem happens again all you need to do is take the HT leads off the spark plugs.

I've developed the habit off freeing my clutch plates off every time I start the engine, even though there is never any sign of sticking.

Although I use oil in my primary chaincase, I recently read that Automatic Transmission Fluid can be used and this apparently prevents the clutch plates from sticking.

Beezageezauk.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 30.12. 2006 19:54 »
... or maybe try modern 20w50 motorcycle oil, mobil racing4t 15w50, or something like that in the chaincase, could help both sticking or slipping. But if you really suspect the 1 plate, change it. Otherwise, any serious indentations in the clutchbasket slots?

Good luck.

E-

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 30.12. 2006 20:34 »
I think the clutch on the duplex chain models is supposed to run dry. There is a bowler hat shaped cover to keep the oil out. It probably would be a good idea to change the suspect plate. I'm only guessing but it might be a Barnett plate, made in USA and have a reputation for sticking. If I recall correctly, everything looked good when I had it apart and I didn't feel the need to file out any notches.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2006 22:58 »
You have the 6 spring clutch?

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 31.12. 2006 08:03 »
That's the one. I think mine had a gasket under the hat bit.

Offline Pollock

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.01. 2007 13:14 »
Not to make light of your problem Fido. But man I wish I had this problem. I will rebuild my clutch in a second to have a bike start so easy. Sound like a keeper there bud.
Pollock
This is what happened today so I let the engine die and pulled the clutch in to give it a freeing off kick. The trouble was, every time I tried this, however gently, the engine would start. The kill button is not connected at the moment so I could not hold that in. I ended up having to do it in gear with the front brake on.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 09.01. 2007 15:32 »
In my experience, except for plates with cork inserts, every wet clutch will eventually stick, even with ATF.
Try this: After stopping the engine, pull in the clutch and place a wine cork in the space between the clutch handle and its frame, thus separating the plates enough to prevent sticking while parked.
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09.01. 2007 18:24 »
Something like this was suggested for my Velocette but my fear is that it would cause the springs to set at the shorter length and result in clutch slip. I will try to get into the habit of freeing it off every couple of weeks during the winter months. *beer*

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 11.01. 2007 14:47 »
Like I said, Fido, I've done this for years and never had a clutch slip problem. Clutch springs are very lightly loaded in compression and I doubt you could even measure the "set" after extended use.
David
'57 Spitfire