Author Topic: Oil tank banjo leak fix  (Read 272 times)

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Oil tank banjo leak fix
« on: 24.09. 2022 10:09 »
Just started the RGS for the first time and noticed oil leaking from the oil tank return banjo. As usual the problem was traced to pattern parts. The new banjo was made with the smaller diameter hole too small so it wouldn't fit over the plain section of the pipe which is brazed onto the tank. Consequently, no matter how tight the nut was tightened, the fibre washer at the back of the banjo wouldn't crush against the tank. So, I've opened the small diameter hole on the lathe so that it's a snug fit over the plain section of pipe. I also noticed that the whole banjo is too deep so that, when fitted, the narrow diameter doesn't quite reach to fit over the plain section of pipe, so I've skimmed about 1.5 mm off the back face. Now, when fitted, there is a natural recess which can be filled with an O ring in addition to the fibre washer. Everything seems secure now and I see no reason why this shouldn't fix the problem.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil tank banjo leak fix
« Reply #1 on: 24.09. 2022 10:38 »
How irritating. It's lucky that you were able to sort out the problem yourself. Some people might have just tried doing the nut up tighter and doing damage. Have you let the supplier know about the issue?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 24.09. 2022 10:53 »
How irritating. It's lucky that you were able to sort out the problem yourself. Some people might have just tried doing the nut up tighter and doing damage. Have you let the supplier know about the issue?
That will be my first phone call on Monday! I will modify the ones I have in stock.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.09. 2022 11:14 »
Similarly recently I've had petrol and oil pipe copper fittings where the taper on the male part doesn't match the tap taper correctly, meaning they leak.
Pattern crap again.. *sad2*