Author Topic: exhaust gas analysis  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
exhaust gas analysis
« on: 20.06. 2013 12:41 »
A friend is giving me his exhaust gas analyser which I thought might be fun to play with.
Does anyone have any base data as to what numbers I should expect on a completely standard '59 Goldflash?
'59 A10

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: exhaust gas analysis
« Reply #1 on: 20.06. 2013 14:06 »
No idea but I bet they'll be "right off the clock" at tick-over and no so bad as the tap is opened up ,should be interesting ,regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2013 21:02 »
 Have a look here. http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2392.0
Would be nice to have all the gear to measure and test things. I just use "the seat of my pants" method and colour tune.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Ethelred

• A's Good Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #3 on: 01.07. 2013 13:49 »
Finally got to do it today.
This is on a standard '59 GoldFlash, engine rebuilt and run in, tappets checked.
New Amal monoblock 376/17, 1 1/16 dia, Pilot jet 25, Cutaway 3.5, Needle jet 0.106, Main jet 250, Needle position 3
The only thing non-standard about the carb set up is the main jet which is one size up from the standard 240.
The other changes from standard which might affect carburation are, its got a pancake filter and straight though exhausts, i.e. no baffles.

The analyser measures CO2 from which the air/fuel mixture can be deduced. The ideal mixture is about 14.7 : 1 for petrol engines, that being the point at which the amount of air entering the engine is exactly sufficient to burn all the fuel (Ethelred the expert, having read the manual  *smile*)

I Used the Amal tuning guide as the basis for the tests.

At idle I could see it was running a bit rich, sounded fine, ticked over fine, you'd never have known by ear. I adjusted the primary air screw to get it just right. Didn't sound any different. It was amazing how much change in the idle mixture a very small turn on the screw causes, an eighth of a turn is significant.

Throttle open 1/8 to 1/4 where the cutaway controls the mixture: mixture still spot on.

Throttle open 1/4 to 3/4 where the needle controls the mixture: mixture's gone a bit weak.

Fully open, where the main jet controls the mixture: mixture spot on.

So I raised the needle a notch and tested again and now the mixture is spot on across the range.

It does ride better now, more responsive, but frankly I'd never have known it could be improved, not having had much experience of A10s.
It does demonstrate that even relatively minor changes from the standard set up can affect the mixture and require carburation alterations.

'59 A10

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 08.07. 2013 21:56 »

I have always wanted to have a go with stuffing an O2 sensor up a pipe.....I think that is basically what you have there...that and a sensitive volt meter...
  of course the next step is a closed loop fuel injection system...

so much of that stuff..is pretty much just laying around free for the taking..  as so many of the components have been removed from cars...in an attempt to eliminate a problem...I have 3 o2 sensors... 2 mass air....and I am sure a few others...