Author Topic: Float bowl drain valve  (Read 367 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Float bowl drain valve
« on: 21.10. 2022 18:04 »
It seems to me that given the state of our fuel in the UK that draining the petrol from the float bowl is essential for a irregular used classic bike like the A10.

Does anyone know of a supplier of a drain valve that can be screwed into the float bowl?

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Float bowl drain valve
« Reply #1 on: 21.10. 2022 18:22 »
No, and no need. Many (I've done it for years) simply turn the fuel off a short distance from home and upon arrival, let it run until it stops. That way the carb's as good as empty.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #2 on: 21.10. 2022 19:12 »
Well yes and no. Firstly I sometimes I regularly forget to switch off the petrol in time then I have to decide or not to running the bike longer to use the fuel up or not.

Second, is there any fuel left in the float by turning off the petrol early.

And lastly is it a good idea to run the bike lean at the end of each  ride?

I do not know the answer to these questions, other than a drain valve on the float chamber will work.  I have seen this in other forums mostly home made, but seem to be bloody good idea.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.10. 2022 20:01 »
Some engines (lawnmowers, generators etc) have a drain valve on the carb, but generally fitting one on a carb not designed for one is never more than a bodge. Had that on my Weslake, where the carb is at a steep downdraft. But because the carb isn't designed for modification, there's no 'meat' to do a proper job. Result was where someone had attempted a drain valve cracked and I had to replace the float bowl (wasn't cheap, as it required other changes as the original bowl was NLA). On a monobloc I guess you could drop the main jet cap each time, but really? Running the engine dry at journey's end has to be a whole lot easier (and less trouble). Running lean for a short while at low revs isn't going to cause problems. I do that with all my engines when they're not going to be used for a month or so - including two strokes  (chainsaws, generators, brush cutters) which rely on fuel for lubrication.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.10. 2022 21:43 »
I was thinking "what state of UK petrol" is the OP referring to?
E5 and E10 or something more generic?

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.10. 2022 22:24 »
I was thinking "what state of UK petrol" is the OP referring to?
E5 and E10 or something more generic?

'Word is' that the modern petrols are formulated with chemicals included that improve function for modern Fuel Injected motors, but are no good for old carburettors.
Ethanol would only make the situation worse I'd guess. I'm sure we've all noticed that the modern fuels seem to 'go off' after a shorter time sitting in the tank.

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.10. 2022 23:12 »
I'm sure we've all noticed that the modern fuels seem to 'go off' after a shorter time sitting in the tank.

Nope.