Author Topic: It just stops.  (Read 1455 times)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: It just stops.
« Reply #15 on: 11.02. 2023 17:58 »
How would/could a slide with less cut-away cause the engine to cut out after a certain period? *eek*

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 11.02. 2023 20:20 »
just a guess but if the slide and bore of the body of carb was worn it may be too weak to run when warmed up, change the slide for one with smaller cut away and maybe even not as worn on the slide and it just might now be rich enough to keep running ???  *conf*   *dunno2*
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 26.02. 2023 15:00 »
An Update:
A chat the other day reveals that the carby was cleaned, the slider, as mentioned previously was changed, and now we can add in that the valve clearances were also modified. (What to I am not sure, but openned up a bit)

I'm sure that this will slake the curiousity of some and arouse more interesting theories from others, all of which again proves the usefulness of the site as we all diagnose from a distance, and somewhere among the ideas the correct one is always the last one we try.

Again, Thanks for the help on this one. He's happily riding into the fading fabulous summer weather we are enjoying. A slight tinge of conflicted envy runs through my veins as i think about the now evaporated posibility of picking up a cheap super rocket. He aint thinking of parting with it now.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 26.02. 2023 18:37 »
G'day Gavin.
That's great. Goes back to reply #6 & 7 tappets too tight.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #19 on: 02.05. 2023 13:19 »
Ok I may have found a possible reason for the cutting out. While cleaning the mag ready to put back on the engine it would make a clicking noise as it was turned. I then watched the points and everytime it clicked was when the points heel passed over the raised parts of the cam ring. The whole cam was moving. Turned out it was a little loose and had moved out and away from the locating pin. Imagine how loose it was when the engine was hot. So I will fix that in place and see how we go

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 02.05. 2023 13:31 »
An Update:

Deeply appreciative of all help offered here, his tears have finally stopped. He found the problem in the carby by swapping out the slider with one in a spare carby I had. He's ridden for over an hour and not had to push it home, or wait it out on the side of the road, so there it is at last, simple, but as we all know, heaps of patience required while waiting for the last option we try to turn up.

So thanks everyone. This is exactly what the site is meant to do. Another happy A10 rider heading down the highway and safely back home.
Amal make new monoblocks bit pricey but cured all my carb problems

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 03.05. 2023 04:01 »
What never ceases to amaze me with these old English machines is that they will continue to start and run albeit less than perfectly with a whole host of issues. I've had some bugs take years to iron out. Each one solved reveals a far nicer more tractable machine. Eventually one irons out all the bugs usually just in time for new ones to appear. Of course some are caused by inappropriate modifications or badly made aftermarket parts but its all part of the game.
NZ

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #22 on: 03.05. 2023 20:21 »
When mine " just stops" it's always at the most inoportune moment. Just recently at a red light with a long delay to cross a major road. Front of queue, nice fast idle, lights go green at last, cut out! Did not get it into gear fgs. Uphill push to get out of the way. Generally starts first kick tho and always gets a good handfull of revs after such naughtyness!
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 04.05. 2023 10:59 »
Just recently at a red light with a long delay to cross a major road. Front of queue, nice fast idle, lights go green at last, cut out! Did not get it into gear fgs. Uphill push to get out of the way. Generally starts first kick tho and always gets a good handfull of revs after such naughtyness!
Oh I recognise that situation. The psychological pressure to get the engine going again makes you muck up the starting, probably by tickling the carb when the engine is already hot. I did this when I took my GF to the new owner. Embarrassing!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 04.05. 2023 22:42 »
Carbs are funny things. I have an A65 (I know its not an A10 but this is about carbs) I built it and when ever I started it the thing would rev up and cut straight out. I tried everything including buying another electronic ignition for it an it done the same thing.

I borrowed a mates bike so I could swap bits one at a time to sort it out once and for all. I changed the carb bodies with his bike same thing. I checked the slides and needles against his bike and they were identical. In desperation I actually swapped the slides and needles (concentric carbs) and it started and ticked over no problem at all.

I obviously put his bike back together and bought a couple of those cheap wassell concentrics and it never looked back. All down to slides or needles???? Twin carbs as well and both cylinders reacted exactly the same until I changed needles and slides.

Bizarre thing is I slung the carbs on an old bonnie of mine and that runs now problem.

Go figure?