Author Topic: why dont they make a new bsa like triumph have that looks like the old bike  (Read 1887 times)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
i think there would be a market for it

dave

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: why dont they make a new bsa like triumph have
« Reply #1 on: 10.10. 2009 11:33 »
Hi Dave, they do!  It`s called the 400 sr which were all exported to japan, and in 1999 they made the 500 sr for sale in america and europe!
http://www.bsa-regal.co.uk/history/
I`ve never seen one on the road though, also i`m not sure what make the engine is(possibly japanese)

all the best   Richie
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: why dont they make a new bsa like triumph have
« Reply #2 on: 10.10. 2009 11:45 »
i have seen them but they look nothing like the ones we have
at least triumph have made a bike that actually looks like the old bike
thats what i mean

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
They don`t look that modern  *smiley4*
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
your right they dont thanks Richie

dave

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
http://www.bsa-regal.co.uk/history/
"In 1692 a contract was drawn up between the Majesties Board of Ordnance and five Birmingham gunsmiths"
That's great, our bikes are from a company taking shape in year 1692. Even Honda or Suzuki etc can't beat that.

*respect* the BSA Founder

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
The 400SR motor looks very much like a Yamahahaha XT500
What about ABSAF and their Goldies. A mate down here just paid $17000AU for a motor.
cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
It's our own fault nobody makes them, there's no market due to us lot mending the old ones, and of course producing more Rocket Gold Stars

And new models like my Rocket Gold Flash, due out any month/year soon

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Well it is all about politics and money.
When Dennis Poore's Norton Villers acquired BSA _Triumph, with Government assistance he did one of the greatest asset strips in world history.
He was then the controller of the BSA trade mark and ardent that it should dissapear forever save some one wondering "whatever happened" so naturally he never allowed the trade make to be used on anything let alone a motorcycle.
BSA was one of the UK's largest companies, fully vertically intergrated and very diverse and everything that was making money, Poore "stole" for book value which made his private company Manganeese Bronze one of the top 200 UK companies. Leaving only the loss making motorcycle division with NVT to suck up tax payers money while he made hundreds of millions. How dose that theory of capitalism go " privatise the profits and nationalise the losses" .
If every one who currently owns a BSA went out and bought 2 "new" BSA's and if the new company was running at a 100% profit ratio then it would not last 2 years.
The name BSA means nothing to any one under 40, our youngest member is 43 ( oldest is 85 ) and the mean age is 52.
Very few of us would actually buy a "new" BSA unless we wanted to burn up a big super payout. Our sons & daughters lust after Honda 4's or H1 or Z9's or SS750's so there is no market there.
Retro styling and even worse naming is a very difficult thing to do, look at what happened with the B 50 Gold Star or the B44 Shooting Star, both spectacular failures due largely to the target marketing rejecting the reused name
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
The old Bonnie has had a good come back though!
If Fonzie & Marlin rode Beeza's it might be a different story,

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Yeh face it. The BSA name means very little to the word at large.
I was insuring my bike, the bloke asked me "BSA what's that? Is it like a Triumph?"
I told him "BSA owned Triumph". Don't know why I bothered, he doesn't care. It probably won't come up in his Pub Quiz.

IMO; Triumph were smart enough to realise they had to make a name for themselves as producers of competitive, reliable modern motorcycles, and dispel some of the other myths about Triumphs, before they could cash in on it's heritage and produce something "retro" without being accused of trying to sell a dinosaur.

Cheers,
Iain