Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 590 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: 27.01. 2023 13:23 »
The guy on the front is actually wearing a period cycling jersey and they are sitting on the banking of a wooden boarded velodrome cycle race track.

I wonder if the crew of two was something to do with the requirement to pace at a very constant speed i.e. controlling the engine revs was virtually a full time job.
Also, it seems, the rear persons back provided wind shelter for the cyclist.

Evidently, chosen for the job due to his particular body shape.

Richard L.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 27.01. 2023 17:31 »
I think the two-person pacer would have been more down to the complexity of controlling the engine to a constant velocity than using the rear person as a wind-break. It didn't take long for the Derny to develop enough that the driver alone was sufficient, and that's how it was from then on.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 27.01. 2023 18:47 »
G'day Fellas.
That clip of Guy Martin would have been scary for him. On sandy beach, hit a bit of driftwood  *pull hair out*
Here is what he could have done on a salt flat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFTqHbgsKs
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 27.01. 2023 21:36 »
That's insane Musky, the gearing on the bike must be ridiculous.  Noticed she had a much better aero pod to tuck into with sides, whereas Guy just had a brick wall effectively and much more turbulent air to contend with.  Boy you have got to have some faith in your pacer!  At the end it looks like she dropped the tow while they were still motoring at quite some speed  *eek*
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum