Author Topic: Clutch cable adjustment  (Read 381 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Clutch cable adjustment
« on: 18.02. 2023 17:35 »
Just had my 1961 A10 out on the road for its first run.  It can't have run for more than 20 years so I have more than a few niggles.  One of which is the clutch cable.  I have an adjuster on the handlebar lever but not at the bottom of the cable where the outer is retained by a lug in the gearbox casing. 

The parts list does not show an adjuster here but I see there is one on the cable for older bikes.  My gearbox lug is threaded as if waiting for an adjuster so I assume it is an older gearbox. Do I need an adjuster here?  If so I either buy a new cable or find one and slit it for the cable to be fitted later.

I have an awful oil leak on the gearbox.  I can only think I have mucked up the gasket on the inner cover.  I have checked the drain plug and the square inspection cover and they seem ok. Is there any other places I should be looking?

John

Finally I realise I hate the fixed kickstart.  Do people live with this or fit a filing one?

John 
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: Clutch cable adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2023 18:27 »
I have a s/a A10 1961 and have no adjustment on the gearbox lug.  There is, however, adjustment on the actuating lever just inside the gearbox cover.  What I do is slacken off the clutch on the bars about 2/3, then adjust on the gearbox lever quite tightly, then finely adjust on the bars.

Fixed kickstarter is a bit of a PITA at times, but it works so I live with it.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #2 on: 19.04. 2023 18:06 »
I went for a new clutch cable. So now I have an adjuster at both ends. I thought that if I broke a clutch cable I could adapt the bottom adjuster to fit the cable.

Gearbox leak it still bad. I can only think is is from the drive shaft. It is a new seal and I cannot see how I could get it wrong.

Do these seal bed in?  It seems the leak is reducing. Maybe it is just running out of oil  *sad2*

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Roger (Doomtrainbarx)

• A's Good Friend
    • Soundclick
« Reply #3 on: 19.04. 2023 19:10 »
You have to be sure that the circlip is located correctly.
I replaced my original circlip with an aftermarket "2 eye" type - much easier to fit.
1962 Super Rocket
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1987 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
1989 Harley FXRS (Turbo)