Author Topic: Push Rods what B**ch of a job  (Read 4700 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Push Rods what B**ch of a job
« Reply #15 on: 05.05. 2012 09:52 »
I dug up this thread from an in house-site search for rocker shaft shim info(can't remember what now,but close to Muskrats post-probably need another topic).
 While I'm here though,will throw 2bobs worth+gst,vat,gdp,cpi.....! but first- Muskrat did you dig up the info for Olev where you got your fancy ally pushrods they sound good, one of my ex. ones has a bit of a chicane in it, and with the new springs figure may not take much to make it a hairpin! reckon I need newies
Burtons have ally ones not sure if 16gbp is for one or two, or four??
 SRM have CrMo one 12~gbp looks like ea??

Now to push rod fitting- I am soon to do mine for the first time in a long time, have usually done it a combination of most methods mainly Beezalex......
with the aid of a hooked dental-type tool, it's a little fiddly but not THAT hard.  Just rotate your rockers so that the sockets that engage on the pushrod tubes are down all the way, then drop the box on slowly.  There should be enough friction on the studs that it will stay at whatever position you lower it to.  Bring it down until the rockers start contacting the tubes and use the tool to guide the pushrod tubes into place.  you should have at least a 1/4" gap to put the tool through and since the rocker arms won't be engaged you can do them one@ a time.

.........and Snowbeard
I ended up using a magnet on a stick to hold each one in place with the cover just a half inch up, then push each rocker down onto them to hold in place and seat the box.

Never used a magnet yet, good option.
 Something I noticed just now though is that the Exhaust rod cups are visible over the top of the rocker shaft if the adjusters are wound right back and sitting on the valve tip, and the inlets opposite, still wound right out, but way off the valve tip, are real easy to see (as you probably know).
      Admittedly it's out of the bike, on a (bench) and relatively easy to see and no frame in the way, but Ive done it in situ and still a bitch, but not that bad, and with a small mirror ('virtual magic') may just be ........?.............easy?
   Also small digital surveillance cameras/monitor can enhance that 'virtual magic'- I've used one for bolting a tie down eye bolt in where I couldn't see.

I was looking for info re-rocker shaft shims  Might be a different topic will have a search or start again

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 05.05. 2012 10:13 »
hi guys/Manosound, have`nt got to that stage yet but would`nt mind a copy of that cad drawing if you still have it,cheers,Bob
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 05.05. 2012 11:40 »
G'day Dutch,
                 Whatever you do, don't use a bent rod. There's a few on epay, thought I saw a alloy set with steel ends.
For the life of me I can't find where I got the tapered ones. I need another set.
 Found it. Kidderminster 20/08/93 $27AU. Think they might be a tad more now :(.
I remove the shaft springs and make shims to fit. Less drag on the rockers. I use a rubber band around the tappets and over a cover stud to hold'em up, cups down. the ex rods always find their way into the cups and the ins only need a pull rearward a few mm with a dentists hook to mate with the cups.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.05. 2012 12:05 »
Thanks Musky, yes even though those are the rods I was using, with the extra spring am not optimistic. 20/08/93- is that a date??  that's last century! *eek* $27AU presume for the set?
 This could be a different topic that I was trying to get my head around earlier, but Yes I put the new shims in, but they're thinner (~0.027thou the odies are ~0.047) even had to dress the pressing dags off, but before I put 'em in had a play, put 1 each side inboard and about 5 on the outside, just a few thou tolerance, and compared to with the thackery springs, I realise how much drag there is(not).
 How much tolerance do you give them?? I figure it could cope with a bit but not too much.
Got a head scratch too about the old ones  but later ,cheers

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #19 on: 05.05. 2012 12:49 »
'bout 5 thou Dutch. That's the date, gettin' old aren't we, and yes $set.
I just emailed them to see if they have more, not hopeful.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #20 on: 05.05. 2012 13:20 »
A scan and measurements of a comb.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 05.05. 2012 23:24 »
Yeah  I googled them up and emailed them last night too no word yet(weekend though). website been 'under construction' for 3yrs! I'll have a poke around the emarket
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 06.05. 2012 15:04 »
Ok so  am on the hunt for new pushrods.
 Muskies Tapered pushrods sound good, sure I'm seen some before, but am checking other options in case of supply isssues.

Any known problem with stock dural ones, or does anybody have other ideas re- value/quality for money??

Thanks ,duTch
Australia

Offline mfhutchins

• Moving Up
« Reply #23 on: 09.05. 2012 01:23 »
i am trying to fit the rocker box and i am pretty sure i have the pushrods aligned in the sockets on top and bottom.  the cover does not sit flush on its own and i believe this is partially due to one of the pushrods being slightly longer than the rest.  is this correct or is something amiss?  should it sit flush on the head?  im nervous and dont want to do any damage.

by the way, i have been reading lots of posts here over the past few months and am rebuilding a 63 super rocket, my dream bike.

mike.

oh, and muskrat, thanks.  i used that jpeg of the comb to make my own.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #24 on: 09.05. 2012 07:43 »
 G'day Mike,
                there will always be at least 1 push rod on the cam. At TDC on the left the rods on the right will be up a bit, about 1/8".
Glad the pic worked for you.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline mfhutchins

• Moving Up
« Reply #25 on: 09.05. 2012 18:05 »
that makes sense.  thats about how far off the head the rocker box is on one corner, 1/8".

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 09.05. 2012 19:37 »
The popular theory and, I think, a good idea is to loosen the adjusters.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 09.05. 2012 23:59 »
Heck  RL, I wish I said that !! ;)

Hey Muskrat, I emailed Kidderminster, but monday being a holiday, ended up phoning tuesday-much easier, but Shaun(spell?) didn't know about the tapered rods, so I just ordered some pattern dural ones hope they're ok he reckons sold lots and no probs, but it could be worth sending him a photo of yours and an invoice scan, something might come to light??

Also I noted that Burtons have 'alloy' ones,no elaboration, but haven't yet investigated but if I come up with anything I'll give a holler.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 25.05. 2012 01:16 »
Well, the pushrods that I ordered from Kidderminster arrived the other day (21 GBP landed-au), but am I on something in the water??    The ends are not nice and hemispherically machined as I'd expect, but look more like roughly carved hard chines on a primitive boat hull!? ,sorry but not very clear in the low res photos.
 Is that normal??  I expected something I could 'plug n play', now I need to sit and lap them I guess.

Just thought I'd use this old Tee shirt as a background, never noticed the 'BrotherS in Arms'-before but think it's fitting- Sorry Cockroaches- too bad about the footy huh?
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #29 on: 25.05. 2012 08:03 »
 Yep the ref was on the take !! Our good one disallowed and your dodgy one was. *dunno*
Two trains of thought about the rough ends. 1 they hold oil in the scratches = less wear. 2 smooth has no ridges to wear.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7