Author Topic: Bergers Van  (Read 3634 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Bergers Van
« on: 08.02. 2023 17:49 »
i went out on urma the yonda on monday, it was a nice comfortable ride to brothers allotment but the journey home of only about 10 miles chilled me through the bones. the outcome of that was feeling really poorly all tuesday and fit for nothing, last night in bed i sweated buckets but by 1 o'clock this afternoon i was fit enough to get started on the van preparing to remove the gearbox and mend or replace the slave cylinder. this involves removing a whole lot of other stuff just to start getting into the job. why it is inside there only the designers know *problem* the whole sub frame has to come off and most of the bolts are those torquesy things so i have to buy sockets and spanners i will use once again *bash* i can make some ringers fit a bit but not good enough *pull hair out*. yes i know cars nowadays are made to scrap after 10 years but hey ho they keep telling us they are saving the planet, i want to know what planet those assholes are on!! . rant over.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: Bergers Van
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2023 18:01 »
i went out on urma the yonda on monday, it was a nice comfortable ride to brothers allotment but the journey home of only about 10 miles chilled me through the bones. the outcome of that was feeling really poorly all tuesday and fit for nothing, last night in bed i sweated buckets but by 1 o'clock this afternoon i was fit enough to get started on the van preparing to remove the gearbox and mend or replace the slave cylinder. this involves removing a whole lot of other stuff just to start getting into the job. why it is inside there only the designers know *problem* the whole sub frame has to come off and most of the bolts are those torquesy things so i have to buy sockets and spanners i will use once again *bash* i can make some ringers fit a bit but not good enough *pull hair out*. yes i know cars nowadays are made to scrap after 10 years but hey ho they keep telling us they are saving the planet, i want to know what planet those assholes are on!! . rant over.

Well done mate!!  Must admit, if it wasn't for the 18 layers of clothing, I'd never have made it to Wales and back.  Maybe that's what froze my brain when I chucked the motor back in.  By the way, the big round spacer thing, did you say put both gaskets on and does it matter which gasket goes on first.  Just on saving the planet, it's interesting how we want to save trees but send billions of cards to each other!!

Oh, and I feel really crap at the moment with chills and a wheezy chest - no beer tonight. *sad* *sad* *sad*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.02. 2023 18:30 »
worty just one gasket either side of spacer and don't forget to not fully tighten the two 5/16ths whit bolts untill you have the gearbox shaft oil thrower central in the sliding plate. also see how the inner case sits in regard to the back frame lug to see if it needs a spacer when the other 3 screws are put in through the outer case, you could put these 3 screws in with spacers without the outer case so they don't hit the crank web,

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.02. 2023 18:48 »
worty just one gasket either side of spacer and don't forget to not fully tighten the two 5/16ths whit bolts untill you have the gearbox shaft oil thrower central in the sliding plate. also see how the inner case sits in regard to the back frame lug to see if it needs a spacer when the other 3 screws are put in through the outer case, you could put these 3 screws in with spacers without the outer case so they don't hit the crank web,

Gotcha.  I had remembered most of that - incredibly.  Actually, I'm not doing too badly at the moment with putting it together.  The most annoying thing was not knowing that the 'kinked' engine plates go clutch side.  I got the upper plate correct, but the lower plate on the wrong side so it all had to come apart again.  I'm sure that I'll forget something, or need clarification, at some point - watch this space!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2023 19:43 »
i now find all the engine rubber bush mounts are shot so i look for vauxhall combo year 2010 parts with no luck. then i see a vauxhall tigra part the same as mine with the same numbers 2009, this van is an oddball. a chap said to me ages ago that he swears it isn't a 2010 because of the front shape and the seat belts and chassis number. as well as those shot parts that need replacing it also needs a bottom ball joint because the rubber is split and to top it off an inspection from underneath of the diff shows a loose pin that holds the planet gears floating about because its locating pin is not there *problem*, this is most probably my diff whining noise as it lets the gears move ,someone has been playing!! the upside is i have a very competent young man helping me who has allready taught me a trick or two  *yeah*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2023 11:01 »
i now find all the engine rubber bush mounts are shot so i look for vauxhall combo year 2010 parts with no luck. then i see a vauxhall tigra part the same as mine with the same numbers 2009, this van is an oddball. a chap said to me ages ago that he swears it isn't a 2010 because of the front shape and the seat belts and chassis number. as well as those shot parts that need replacing it also needs a bottom ball joint because the rubber is split and to top it off an inspection from underneath of the diff shows a loose pin that holds the planet gears floating about because its locating pin is not there *problem*, this is most probably my diff whining noise as it lets the gears move ,someone has been playing!! the upside is i have a very competent young man helping me who has allready taught me a trick or two  *yeah*

Is that MWAS mate??  This job makes my motor look like a picnic?? *dunno* *whistle* *dunno* *doh*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.02. 2023 11:51 »
worty not mwas , this is a young man who has been spannering for only a few years on cars and land rovers and is clued up to short cuts that work without damage.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.02. 2023 12:00 »
worty not mwas , this is a young man who has been spannering for only a few years on cars and land rovers and is clued up to short cuts that work without damage.

Name and phone number please mate.  Seriously though, a bit of help and advice is always welcome, especially when one gets a bit older and creakier.  By the way, without boring you more, what was the main reason or straight 40 over 50, found some good priced 50?
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.02. 2023 12:07 »
worty no specific reason but cold 40 is easier to kick than cold 50 ;) if you put a heater coil in the oil tank you could run it on good old fashioned LARD, and have LARD sandwiches when out on a run *whistle* *sick*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 10.02. 2023 12:09 »
worty no specific reason but cold 40 is easier to kick than cold 50 ;) if you put a heater coil in the oil tank you could run it on good old fashioned LARD, and have LARD sandwiches when out on a run *whistle* *sick*

Ya mama *eek* :o
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.02. 2023 12:03 »
the graph pictures are just two of my heart attack from 12 years ago when it stopped and paramedics got me started again, this van i am working on is enough to make a vicar swear and kill me off again. i thought i only needed to change the clutch slave cylinder but then found the sub frame had to be removed and loads of parts replaced. .. control arm bushes perished, engine mounts completely done in , wheel bearings , and much more. FED UP ME *problem* *pull hair out* *bash*

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 16.02. 2023 12:16 »
more pics, i have never known so much hassle just for a slave cylinder, i should have kept my morris eight

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 16.02. 2023 12:44 »
more pics, i have never known so much hassle just for a slave cylinder, i should have kept my morris eight
As my Mum said;  "These things are sent to try us"
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 16.02. 2023 13:55 »
jeez Berger, I hope your gonner change the the cover plate ,slipper and release bearing as well if its that hard to get to ,which twit  thought that design up!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 16.02. 2023 15:39 »
Y'see Bergs, my motor was to put you in the right frame of mind for tackling this job - glad to be of service!

On the other hand, weigh in all that scrap metal and finish the Berger Build.

Good luck mate! *respect*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250