Author Topic: bearing spacer  (Read 167 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
bearing spacer
« on: 14.03. 2023 11:54 »
Apologies if the title is vague, but that highlights an issue I've had for 30+ years.
Decades ago I had a bearing to fit in an oversize hole (can't now recall how / why that came about) and for a similarly forgotten reason a larger bearing or fitting a sleeve wasn't appropriate. I therefore used a corrugated spacer between bearing and housing but, despite still having some, have spent the last 30+ years trying to identify their proper name (and whether they're still available). Tried googling 'bearing spacer' and 'bearing retainer' (ends up showing Loctite) many times but always to no avail.
Until yesterday, when I came across the packet they're in and noticed - in very faint print - the name on the packet. Tolerance rings.
Just thought I'd mention them in case they're useful for any of our members who may not have heard of them.

https://www.euro-bearings.com/tol1.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsCgBhDEARIsAE7RYh1x5ZZl7xebV0dx_mcmku-F9z3hudmR1kmrPsW5xPSDLNmeJQbxIIEaAtRGEALw_wcB
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: bearing spacer
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2023 13:07 »
Well, I've never seen those before. I imagine they might be extremely useful.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2023 13:10 »
That looks like a "get you out of trouble" device rather than a long-term solution.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 14.03. 2023 16:40 »
That looks like a "get you out of trouble" device rather than a long-term solution.
No. They are actually quite sturdy, last a lifetime. They're often used on printing presses on the inking roller shaft drives. They're called slip rings there because they offer some amount of slip without doing any damage to the shaft or frame.
They are a one-time use though. If the roller needs to be taken out for some reason, the ring needs to be renewed.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 14.03. 2023 18:44 »
G'day RD.
I never knew of those either. I would assume the parts would need to be concentric, machined with the clearance for the Tolerance ring. If a housing or shaft was just flogged out it may not work.
Reminds me of another product for worn shafts going through seals. https://www.skf.com/au/products/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve used many of them on leaky tailshafts.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.03. 2023 22:47 »
Hi All,
I have seen those collars used in electric motors and power tools, Never knew what they were called  *ex*
I assumed that they kept the bearing in place when fitted to plastic or alloy housings that would expand more than the bearing when they got hot  *????*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)