Author Topic: Lots of info  (Read 528 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Lots of info
« on: 15.05. 2023 20:42 »
G'day Fellas.
found this while searching for other stuff (cam/valve timing).
Put together by our mates over the ditch in NZ. Not sure if it had been added already.
https://bsa-info.nz/other-info/
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Re: Lots of info
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2023 08:36 »
Massive respect to the NZ guys for hosting this information. Obviously I'm particularly interested in information relating to magnetos so I homed in on that. Unfortunately some of the information is absolutely wrong, particularly the stuff about the insulation cups and the practice of gluing them, and the oil seals, in. If people glue the insulation cups it's a nightmare to remove them and the glue when, inevitably, they come loose again. Neither Lucas nor BTH ever glued the insulation cups in, not in my experience anyway.
Sadly this illustrates the wider issue of disinformation on the internet. There is such a variety of skill and knowledge amongst contributors it is dangerous to assume that everybody knows what they're talking about which is why it's so important to moderate boards like ours. We're so lucky to have so many knowledgeable contributors on this board that, on the odd occasion when some misinformation finds its way on here, it gets drowned out by those who really know. Nevertheless, the information provided by the NZ guys is fantastic, but it's always worth getting a qualified opinion before proceeding with a job you don't have previous experience of. Also, when contributing, it is important to qualify one's remarks. I hope this doesn't sound too negative.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2023 09:16 »
 So true, CB.

That big bore A7 barrel caught my eye. Parts list uses a later A50/65 conrod (68 prefix) so how does that work with a standard throw big journal A10 crank as regards piston skirt clearance against the flywheel? Usually BSA are careful to mention if any other changes are needed, presumably carving bits off the skirts to clear is required. This is pretty tight anyway on a standard A7 motor....A big bore A7 conversion would be easier?

Swarfy.

Online rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.05. 2023 13:00 »
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 17.05. 2023 10:36 »
which is the concerning article Andrew?

I've come across mistakes in the BSA parts lists (and even recent major scientific journals) so i thought all info (internet and otherwise) was to be regarded skeptically. and as you say no substitute for expertise
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.05. 2023 13:18 »
While Andrew may need to be respectfully modest about himself, I don’t need to be (about him). He is one of those we can be truly thankful for. Sorry if the truth makes you uncomfortable, Andrew.

Richard L.

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 17.05. 2023 14:23 »
which is the concerning article Andrew?

I've come across mistakes in the BSA parts lists (and even recent major scientific journals) so i thought all info (internet and otherwise) was to be regarded skeptically. and as you say no substitute for expertise
There si an article specifically about magnetos which, I think, originated from the AJS/Matchless Club (but I may be mistaken). The article goes into some length about servicing a magneto and makes reference to using adhesive to fix insulation cups and oil seals. It also makes reference to a guy called Mike Green who used to supply magneto parts. He is no longer trading..... I've just had another look for the article and it's way down the list, 'Magneto Tips by Mark Seibert'. If Mark reads this may I apologise profusely. I'm not having a go at him as there is much useful information in the article. The problem is, as I hinted at in my previous post, that one bit of misinformation undermines confidence in the whole article, which is a shame.
....and thanks for the kind remarks, Richard L

Offline Sakura

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2023 19:36 »

Sadly this illustrates the wider issue of disinformation on the internet. There is such a variety of skill and knowledge amongst contributors it is dangerous to assume that everybody knows what they're talking about which is why it's so important to moderate boards like ours. We're so lucky to have so many knowledgeable contributors on this board that, on the odd occasion when some misinformation finds its way on here, it gets drowned out by those who really know. Nevertheless, the information provided by the NZ guys is fantastic, but it's always worth getting a qualified opinion before proceeding with a job you don't have previous experience of. Also, when contributing, it is important to qualify one's remarks. I hope this doesn't sound too negative.
Sadly, not just on the internet, in printed literature as well. Just one example: a supposed RGS "expert" has said that the RGS was fitted with special handlebars. Absolutely not,  I had it straight from John Gleed that they were just A10 bars, sometimes turned upside down. What else would you expect them to be! There are too many self appointed experts that never worked in the factory or a dealership or had any extensive experience that spread disinformation that then becomes "fact". Grrrrrr!
63 RGS