Author Topic: BSA A10 1960 Spitfire Scrambler - Engine Head Gasket Question  (Read 526 times)

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
Hello to you all. By way of introduction, I am currently restoring a 1960 Spitfire Scrambler, it has been a full nut and bolt restoration and I am in the final stages of the engine assembly. It has been a really enjoyable project and I will post some images in due course but I have a general query that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with. When I stripped the engine down it had forged 10.5:1 compression pistons. On the rebuild I have fitted GPM 8.5:1 pistons (60 thou over sized). The alloy cylinder head had to be skimmed and 24 thou was removed. Can anyone tell me if I could still use a standard thickness copper gasket which I think is 1mm in thickness or would I risk valve interference? Following an internet search I have found a company in Canada that can supply me with a 2mm copper gasket, however if I could still use the standard one I'd prefer that, appreciating the CR will be raised a bit. I understand the carbon fibre gaskets are a little thicker, but I have read mixed views about using them so would prefer to stick with copper.
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice
Gary
1960 Spitfire Scrambler

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi and Welcome Gary
I would do a trial assembly with placistine on the piston crowns so that you could check the clearances between the
valves and pistons and pistons to the head
Copper gaskets unlimited in USA will supply copper gaskets in several different thicknesses and make them to the bore size needed
I did fit a 2mm gasket to one engine where the head was heavily skimmed but that had flat topped pistons
No issues with the 2 mm gasket since

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Gary  *welcome*
I agree with John, best to do a dry run.
I have also used Copper gaskets unlimited https://coppergaskets.us/shop/ols/categories/bsa-motorcycles to make modified head gaskets for my two A's.
I'm assuming the motor has a 357 cam. With 8.5 pistons I don't think you will have a problem with a standard gasket.
I had forged 10.5's and 357 in my A10 Cafe with std gasket.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Use Plasti-gage to get an accurate measure of the piston clearance.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
And do a 'reality-check' measurement of the compression ratio while you're at it eh?

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
Thanks to you all for your contributions, they are very much appreciated. I take it I would need to assemble the head and rocker box, and rotate engine by hand in order to check for indentations in the plasticine? And presumably, the rocker gaps set correctly?
1960 Spitfire Scrambler

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Gary.
Yes that's right. A PITA but necessary. A clearance of at least 0.060" between vales and piston pockets.
 Another thing to check is at full lift the valve must be able to push in at least another 0.060" before it gets coil bound.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
Thanks very much. I'll give it a go!
1960 Spitfire Scrambler

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
I use 0,7mm copper selfmade gaskets on 9.0 to 1 compression with no problem, since many years.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Superarnie

• A's Good Friend
Hi there, by way of update from my original query, I contacted Copper Gaskets in the States and bought a gasket at 63 thou. Their service was first class; great communication, prompt dispatch, really pleased. The gasket arrived and has been annealed and fitted.
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
Regards
Gary
1960 Spitfire Scrambler